Headliner - Spruce or Airtex

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Headliner - Spruce or Airtex

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As Jim says you need the zipper to inspect the cables. A models have the cables running down the center to the back which is why Bills zipper runs that way. B models as well as all later 172s have the cables running directly across behind the carry through spar and that is why the zipper must run that way.

I just received my headliner from Spruce. These are a custom order and they make them when you order it so it took about 18 days from order to my door. I'm very pleased with the quality. The wool comes from Woolrich in Woolrich, PA which is kind of cool. It is heavier that I thought it would be.

I knew I wanted a wool headliner and it was a toss up between tan and grey. Lots of my interior is already gray so that is what I chose. If I had a brown interior tan would be the color.

I've also broken down and bought the fixed Hooker shoulder harness STC for each of the front seats from Spruce. Before installing the new headliner they will go in. I already own retractable shoulder harness units I plan to use to upgrade the fixed Hooker system, what I really needed from each kit is the approved mounting method to the carry through spar.

I won't be installing any of this until the heat subsides which will be about September which also happens to be annual inspection time so I'll report back then.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
SteveDuguay

Post by SteveDuguay »

Bill Hart wrote:Bruce,

I installed a wool headliner from Spruce last year. I had absolutely no issues with it. They make them to order and because I live right by Spruce I was able to walk in order it and pick it up so no shipping cost. I'll be happy to send you photos of it if you would like.
I would be interested in some picts if possible. i can be reached at duguay@wildblue.net. Thanks
Bruce Fenstermacher

Well I gutted (removed) my old interior to prepare for the new headliner install. Found some curious things like a dome light concealed under the old headliner. My partner says he has the lens and bezel but we couldn't put our hands on it at the moment.

Second thing was the speaker had been replaced and the speaker and the hidden bezel around it was crooked. Also the bezel hung about an inch lower than touching the top skin. I'm thinking the bezel should touch the skin if the correct speaker was used. Am I correct?

I'll likely either find a new rod to eliminate the speaker bezel from the headliner install or make an appropriate size speaker substitute out of aluminum sheet metal to hold the bezel where it should be.

bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bigrenna wrote:I vote for no headliner... My A/C is quieter now the way I have it set up that w/out the headliner. And besides, its' cuch cooler!
You don't find all the mouse activity distracting? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

From memory Bruce the square dome light has spacers in the two mounting screws and is not flush
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Well I gutted (removed) my old interior to prepare for the new headliner install. Found some curious things like a dome light concealed under the old headliner. My partner says he has the lens and bezel but we couldn't put our hands on it at the moment.

Second thing was the speaker had been replaced and the speaker and the hidden bezel around it was crooked. Also the bezel hung about an inch lower than touching the top skin. I'm thinking the bezel should touch the skin if the correct speaker was used. Am I correct?.....
The dome lamp fixture is suspended by spacers,....see this illustration:
click to ENLARGE
click to ENLARGE
The speaker baffle does mount next to the cabin skin. The original speakers were drilled/threaded to accept two screws which held the speaker beneath and attached to the cabin roof/skin. The baffle mounted to that speaker at it's rim, and supported it via the cabin roof.
speaker mounting.JPG
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Greg, I'm a big tire no headliner, no carpet type of guy. I ran my first 170 more than 8 years without the headliner I'd "temporarily" removed. If it were not for my partner I would likely not replace it. In fact if money were no object I'd just buy your airplane as you made your interior exactly the way I'd have done it.

Yes the plane was full of mouse droppings and acorn nut shells. And I think there might be a petrified mouse body in the one corner under the floor. Hard to say. This airplane has had lots of "anti corrosion" material dumped/sprayed in the belly which has caught all the dirt and nut shells and stuck them in place. Not hard to understand why aircraft gain weight after they leave the factory. This one is no exception.

Jim the dome light was intact minus the lens and bezel and installed under the old headliner. I don't think it's installation is in question.

What I need to know is if the aluminum form that surrounds the speaker sits against the underside of the top skin. It is held in place by the speaker IF you have the correct speaker which I don't.

Bruce Fenstermacher

George the 49 has a different dome light which does not include the large surrounding bezel with the torpedo lights. Though the dome light part and how it is mounted does look the same.

Ok so the speaker baffle does touch the top skin. It is held in place only by the speaker however. The speaker my partner used years ago is to deep, and he drilled the speaker magnet mounting screw holes crooked so the baffle hangs low and crooked. So I either find a speaker the right depth or make a substitute bracket which is the likely thing I'd do.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah...I see that, .... and the IPC doesn't give much help either...!
(and the speaker installations (dual) are different TOO!) LOL
A model Dome Light.JPG
DUAL Speaker installation for A-models
DUAL Speaker installation for A-models
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

From memory again, I think the speaker baffle screws into the roof stiffeners on the "B" same on the "A" eh?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

The speaker and it's baffle are held in by the speaker only. I've already bent up a hat shape piece of aluminum to replace the speaker and hold the baffle next to the top skin.

Here is my speaker replacement bent out of .45 aluminum. The angles are 70°. I think it will work nicely.
Speaker structure replacement.jpg

And my partner found the dome light bezel and lens so we will have a new (old) dome light when the headliner goes back in.
dome light bezel and lens.jpg

mccarlie

Post by mccarlie »

Bill Hart wrote:Mine is a 49' A model and yes they have a little old lady there who actually sews them up. They will also ask how you want the zipper to run. Across the airframe or fwd to aft. Mine runs fwd to aft. Here are some photos. One is during the install before I shrank it. The next is how it looks today. This was the first headliner I have installed so it’s not perfect and having done it once now I could make it look a whole lot better the next time. Installation was straight forward; I started at the back and worked my way forward. I used tongue depressors to work the fabric into what I call the tiger teeth (don’t know the actual nomenclature) this worked well you just need to take your time. After it was in I used water from a spray bottle (make sure it’s clean) and a heat gun to shrink it up. Be cautious of using too much heat. A good hair drier would work well.
I have a question about attaching headliner in my 170B. I have all four front headliner bows attached to the ceiling with ends in provided holders on sides of each bow. But the rear two metal bow supports - where do the upper part and ends anchor? I have rebuilt the aircraft over an 11-year period and don't remember how it was originally anchored.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

I just finished installing one from Airtex, it didn't fit worth a hoot. the cross rods loops were in the wrong place. by 2-3"