170 down in auburn

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 170 down in auburn

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Just heard word again from Kathy's sister Tami. Seems they are likely to have Bruce and Kathy's service at the airport to accomodate all their friends which I can imagine might overwhelm a funeral home. And besides the airport might just be the right place. I'll post details when I hear of them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

I remember being part of the group that decended on them when they arrived for the Benton Harbor convention. What a great couple and beautiful airplane. Its people like this that make the organization what it has become. So sad that things like this happen, we will miss them greatly.

Ed & Mary
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

When you flew and felt the swift uplifting of the rush of wind beneath your wings
and watched with wonder as the beauty of the earth unfolded into a rainbow of
color and texture below, you understood the limitless joy of flight.
As each long day passes, we still will wonder why you both were taken
without a chance for us to say goodbye

We take much of life for granted without a thought about a day that someone
we really love and admire will be suddenly taken away
but even as we ponder the unfairness of precious lives taken before their time
we'll not stand at your graves and weep,

You are not there you do not sleep.
You are in a thousand breezes that gently blow,
You are in the stately clouds we often see,
You are in the gentle rains of spring.
You are in the swift uplifting rush
of the wind beneath our wings
and all the while, watching us in circling flight. . . . . . .

NOT GOODBYE BUT FAREWELL BRUCE AND KATHY, CLEAR SKIES AND FOLLOWING WINDS
Last edited by flyguy on Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
Bruce Fenstermacher

I've passed a link to this thread on to Kathy's sister.

n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Ther isn't any more I can say about the both of them than Becky and I will also miss then at the conventions. Both had an outlook on life that was full of excitement. Condolances to the family.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Services have been confirmed for the Rhymes. It will be this Thursday (5/23/2013), 5:00 at the Susanville Airport.

Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

Terrible news. I'm saddened to hear of the loss of our brother and sister of the association.

Tailwinds to them both. May the Lord bring comfort to their families and friends.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Terrible, terrible news, a dark cloud will be with us for sometime. My condolences to the family and the many friends.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
170C

Post by 170C »

As many have said, I can't add much to what has already been said. I well remember being out at the row of planes at Benton Harbor and looked to see this really pristine red and polished 170 park across the way. We walked over and met Bruce and Kathy and began admiring their plane and visiting/welcoming them to the convention. What a really nice couple they were. So full of life and eager to share it with everyone. We both ended up parked near one another at Oshkosh that year and they really became family members of our great organization. Such a loss! We often forget how important it is to live each day as if it might be our last one.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Jan Billeb

Post by Jan Billeb »

Bruce and Kathy were such an enjoyable, likable couple. I had a fun evening sitting with them at the San Diego awards banquet where they won the 2nd of their third Best Original 170B awards. Kathy had left to go to the bathroom and when she came back she thought Bruce was conning her about having won again! They were definitely worthy of the Mrs. & Mrs. Award in Longmont!

Bruce sent me an article for the upcoming 170 News about a spring flight they had just taken that you'll all enjoy reading. It brought tears to my eyes to read "On flights like this, we seem to find ourselves holding hands and grinning like fools; just to be sharing such a day."

I will miss them at conventions, and Bruce's input on the board.
Jan Billeb, Executive Secretary
The International Cessna 170 Association
headquarters@cessna170.org
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Jan Billeb wrote:Bruce and Kathy were such an enjoyable, likable couple. I had a fun evening sitting with them at the San Diego awards banquet where they won the 2nd of their third Best Original 170B awards. Kathy had left to go to the bathroom and when she came back she thought Bruce was conning her about having won again! They were definitely worthy of the Mrs. & Mrs. Award in Longmont!

Bruce sent me an article for the upcoming 170 News about a spring flight they had just taken that you'll all enjoy reading. It brought tears to my eyes to read "On flights like this, we seem to find ourselves holding hands and grinning like fools; just to be sharing such a day."

I will miss them at conventions, and Bruce's input on the board.

Very nicely said Jan....thank you for that story...very touching...Dave
Bruce Fenstermacher

I've ordered some flowers for Bruce and Kathy's service on behalf of the membership.

I also asked if there might be a charity one might donate to on behalf of Bruce and Kathy and here is the response I received.
  • As you may know, Bruce and Kathy were avid listeners and contributors to National Public Radio. In addition to monetary contributions, Bruce and Kathy also volunteered their time to ensure the continuance of public radio in the Susanville area. In honor of their love for Susanville and the surrounding region, we ask that you may consider contributing to KUNR in their names. If you wish to do so, please send all checks to the following address:

KUNR Reno Public Radio
    University of Nevada, Reno
    MS 0294
    Reno, NV 89557

Indicate "Memorial Gift in Bruce and Kathy's name" in the comments section.

Donations may also be made online by clicking on the following link:
    https://supportnevada.unr.edu/kunr

Bruce and Kathy would be happy to know that their friends and family continued their support of public radio.

Thank you,
    Dustin Rhymes

Bruce Fenstermacher

I would also like to suggest Bruce and Kathy would have been humbled and happy to have a donation made to our own Scholarship Fund in honor of them.

Checks can be sent to HQ with a note or you can go to: http://cessna170.org/donation.php and donate using Paypal. You do not need to have a Paypal account to use the site.

HQ address:

The International Cessna 170 Association, Inc.
22 Vista View Lane
Cody, WY 82414-9606

N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Losing Bruce and Kathy was a terrible tragedy. They were a wonderful couple who loved every moment of life and loved flying. I sold Bruce and Kathy 65C about 5 years ago. They loved that plane and cared for it meticulously. They will be greatly missed by their loved ones and the flying community.

I had the opportunity to talk to the lead accident investigator about the crash (a Cessna 140 owner). No mechanical or medical problems were immediately apparent. According to radar they were well established on final and about 300 ft. high of the glide-path when they apparently suddenly stalled and spun. Flaps were found in the full down position. While the cause of the accident may never be accurately determined, I suspect that it may have been caused by slipping with full flaps and blanking out the horizontal stabilizer. I am posting this as a reminder... slipping with full flaps should never be done in a 170B. A search on this site for slipping and flaps will provide more information.

Safe Flying....

John
Last edited by N2865C on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks for your comments John.

I was in communication with someone who had some knowledge of the preliminary findings, ie stall from 300 ft, flaps on full which immediately brought to mind a slip with flaps stalling the elevator. I asked that this person communicate with the investigators, if possible, the full flap elevator stall characteristics of the B model in case they were not aware so that it could be considered in their findings.