Continental IO - 360 STC

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MickP170A

Continental IO - 360 STC

Post by MickP170A »

Hi All,

It has no doubt been asked before and I see some other threads on same, but does anyone know of anywhere that I might be able to get an STC for the continental IO - 360 ? or at least some details on same.

As luck would have it I have obtained and engine and prop from a friend who is cleaning out his hangar. I would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide here.

Mick P.
bagarre

Re: Continental IO - 360 STC

Post by bagarre »

Tom Anderson tom@tdaero.com owns the STC however he does not have a PMA to manufacture the mount or baffles.

I am in the process of verifying if it is possible to manufacture these parts as Owner Made parts. Even if it's possible, it will by no means simple/easy/cheap
CFR 14 §21.9 Replacement and modification articles.

(a) If a person knows, or should know, that a replacement or modification
article is reasonably likely to be installed on a type-certificated product,
the person may not produce that article unless it is—
(5) Produced by an owner or operator for maintaining or altering that owner
or operator's product; or
The question is: Is it appropriate for the owner of an aircraft to produce a part under FAR §21.9(a)5 ( formerly §21.303(b)2 ) for an STC not yet installed on the owner's aircraft with the intent of installing said STC?

I've spoken to Tom about the STC and he will sell the STC paperwork alone. You then need to purchase the design drawings for the mount and baffles from him (We will authorize the drawings to be used for your airplane alone).
In order to make use of the drawings to make the mount, you need to lease the fixture (jig) from him, at a cost.
This gets you the approved data and materials in order to contract a reputable aviation welding shop to fabricate the mount via approved means with a quality control system in place.

A SWAG on total cost would be $5k or $6k for the mount alone.

If you decide to not go this route, PM me . I might be looking for a decent mid time IO-360 and prop.
MickP170A

Post by MickP170A »

David,

Just sent you a PM. I am in Australia and rules slightly different down here.. if I can get hold of the paper work for the STC then I am off to a good start.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Mick, PM sent.

Aryana, come to the convention and hear all about how to make your own motor mount under Owner Made Parts.
I'm going to do a talk, "CFR 14 §21.9(a)5: Almost easier than a root canal :lol: "

Mick, you're also most welcome to make the convention of course. You might want to think about long range tanks tho :)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I did that modification to my '52 C-170B and believe me it makes a helluvan airplane, but it aint cheap. And I did all my own work.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Aryana wrote:
bagarre wrote: "CFR 14 §21.9(a)5: Almost easier than a root canal :lol: "
A very befitting title if I don't say so myself! :D
Well, probably not a motor mount but certainly other parts. The biggest thing I'm learning is the owner made is not a short cut nor loophole. The part still needs to be approved before being installed.
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

bagarre wrote:Well, probably not a motor mount but certainly other parts. The biggest thing I'm learning is the owner made is not a short cut nor loophole. The part still needs to be approved before being installed.
Approved by who?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Lopez,

Approved by the FUZZ, and frequenyly you must get an evaluation and and expensive calculations from a DER. Aint nothing cheap in aviation except doctors when paying their airplane maintenance bill.
BL
toms170b

Post by toms170b »

There are options for a motor mount to put the Continental IO-360 in our 170's.

It has been done using the motor mount from a Maule M-4-210C. The 337 for this is on the website.

I also have seen a 170 with the IO-360 and I believe the owner told me he used a motor mount from a Piper Seneca twin.

The Cessna R172K hawk XP has this engine but the firewall is stepped. It might be able to be modified for the 170.

In the United States, these options are all only viable if a field approval on a 337 is accomplished. My understanding is that the FAA is not doing field approval for engine swaps and you have to go the STC route.

But for the gentlemen in Australia maybe your rules are different. hope this helps.

As far as the STC, the only one I know if XP Modifications. I heard rumors that the owner was Tom Anderson and that the STC was not being offered anymore because he had some business issues holding it up.

If this is not the case and the STC is available, I am interested in doing this engine conversion. Going to have to dig deeper into XP Mods situation

Tom