Moving to the Texas Hill Country

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Luvjet

Moving to the Texas Hill Country

Post by Luvjet »

Luvjet is buying a house in Gruene! 6/10 mile from Gruene Hall. Anybody here keep their 170 at New Braunfels? I heard that hangars may be at a premium. Gonna be a good time!!! :D
4583C

Re: Moving to the Texas Hill Country

Post by 4583C »

Bet the hangar rent will be cheaper than Addison :roll:
Sounds like a good move Don!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Welcome to REDNECK MECCA!

I still have the Texas Tequila bottles you gave me on display at my house, and it brings a smile whenever. Glad you'll be nearer to Heaven!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Welcome to the Hill Country!

It's been 35+ years since I went to Gruene Hall to go dancing. Good memories. Have they taken down the chicken wire barrier in front of the stage so the band would not get hit by empty beer bottles thrown by the crowd? It might be more civilized by now.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When I was in the Air Force, I had two tours of duty in San Antonio,Texas. One at Brooks AFB and one at Randolph AFB. In those days when we spoke of the "Texas Hill Country", we meant Bandera, Texas, where the favorite adult beverage was a "Texas Martini". In Bandera, this was a schooner of draft beer with a stuffed olive in it, and was considered to be a very classy drink. It was to be found only in the better establishments in Bandera. Of course, I was only a Master Sergeant in those days. In my later years in the employment with old Sam, when I was commissioned, I realized that Bandera was really only for the enlisted swine.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you google or use wikipedia to "Texas Hill Country"...the first picture displayed is labelled "Bandera". :lol:
Bandera County
Bandera County
300px-Texas_Hill_Country_187N-2.jpg (19.74 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
The link is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Hill_Country ,

And the following counties are included in the official description by Texas Parks and Wildlife (Bold counties are where Richard and I have homes):
Bandera Bell Blanco Burnet Comal Coryell Crockett Edwards Gillespie Hays Kendall Kerr Kimble Lampasas Llano Mason McCullouch Menard Real San Saba Schleicher Sutton Travis Val Verde Williamson
256px-656px-Texas_Hill_Country_Map.png
256px-656px-Texas_Hill_Country_Map.png (44.45 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Luvjet

Post by Luvjet »

Well, I'll be able to see it from my balcony! Not gonna be there full time,(I'll never get Nicole out of Dallas), but I do plan on spending a lot of time there. Cant wait.
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

If you look straight west you see our new place at Pipe Creek. We just bought it as well and are excited to be spending time in the Hill Country. Not full time yet either but working that way.
Congrats on the place.

W.
ps no TFR for this W....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Luvjet wrote:Well, I'll be able to see it from my balcony! Not gonna be there full time,(I'll never get Nicole out of Dallas), but I do plan on spending a lot of time there. Cant wait.

OH, ...YOU WILL QUALIFY as a GENUINE HILL-Bubba! You'll be IN Comal County, and that's one of those included!

New Braunfels is a nice area also....just on the Eastern edge of the hill country, at the Balcones-fault-line, where the Salt Grass prairie begins! Welcome! Hope you already have your Gruene Hall tickets for Willie Nelson's Thanksgiving weekend concert.... they're sold out!

(picture taken in Gruene Hall of "Ponty Bone" and the "Squeezetones"). It's a fun place: Image

(Down here we have a saying, seen on bumper-stickers...."Keep Austin Wierd". Over in Fort Worth, it's "Keep Ft. Worth Country".

Tell Nicole, that we're all developing bumper stickers for Dallas that say: "Keep Dallas Pretentious!" :lol:
Luvjet

Post by Luvjet »

The last concert I saw at Gruene Hall was Leon Russell. I remember the days when you couldn't get within 100 feet of him. Seeing all of these responses makes me want to get down there even more. Gonna have a place for 170'ers to stay when they want to come play.
170C

Post by 170C »

Gitten out of Dallas is one of the smartest, best things anyone can do :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Luvjet

Post by Luvjet »

It's certainly not the same Dallas I grew up in.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

W.J.Langholz wrote:If you look straight west you see our new place at Pipe Creek. We just bought it as well and are excited to be spending time in the Hill Country. Not full time yet either but working that way.
Congrats on the place.

W.
ps no TFR for this W....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks like Luvjet isn't the only one moving to the Hill Country (at least part time anyway). Since Willie already posted this, I'm not spilling the beans on Willie and Mary Jo's new purchase southwest of Boerne, TX, although Ina and I were sworn to secrecy until things were finalized. They purchased TIC170A Co-founder John D. and Dorothy Benham's place at the Freedom Springs Airport subdivision last summer and ever since have been cleaning out the place, getting the old mobile home moved out, and their new hangar apartment built. It has turned out very nice and they are justly pleased with the new place. Willie and their son John plan on installing new siding to the rest of the hangar and upgrading the hangar doors so the whole place will look like new in the near future.

Willie and Mary Jo arrived Friday afternoon and we landed a little while later to welcome them back to Texas and take them to dinner to celebrate their new home. Below are a couple of shots of the old Benham, er, new Langholz place.
Willie and Mary Jo Langholz' new Texas home
Willie and Mary Jo Langholz' new Texas home
Willie and Mary Jo on the front porch
Willie and Mary Jo on the front porch
On another less joyous note, Willie didn't feel well after dinner Friday night (it was not the food) and at 2:30 Saturday morning Mary Jo (who is a registered nurse) took Willie to the emergency room to get checked-out. Long story short, by 11:00am Willie was on the operating table having his gall bladder removed. He had a rough day today but hopefully will be feeling much better very soon. Looks like he and MJ will be staying in Texas for a few weeks longer than planned. If anyone wishes to call or visit with Willie I'm sure he would appreciate it, especially being 1000 miles away from home and family. He is in room 547 at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, then recuporating at Freedom Springs after that.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Luvjet wrote:It's certainly not the same Dallas I grew up in.
Ain't that the truth! Where did you go to high school? I went to J.F. Kimball in Oak Cliff, Class of 1970.

We're going to have to start having hill country fly-ins at all the different places!
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
Luvjet

Post by Luvjet »

All right!! Willie and Mary Jo! I'll come by for a visit. Gonna start building in January. Hilltop, I went to Hillcrest High School. Got out ,barely, in 1973.