Spruce Aircraft shoulders harness

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Spruce Aircraft shoulders harness

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John, would you have the install drawings we might ad to our library. We have the Wag drawings, and I think we have the BAS but might be confusing them with the BAS pull handle drawings we have.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N8293A

Post by N8293A »

Bruce I have been pestering Hooker to get their inertial reel sytem for our C170's STC'd for nearly 10 years. Every year I go to their booth at OSH and every year I get the same answer, "not yet". They blamed the FAA's engineering people, they said every time they submitted paperwork it would get shot down. I am not sure they are still trying, or if they finally just gave up. I know they used to have an STC'd inertial reel system for the C180, and that is what they were using for the base system on the C170. I have been waiting for their approval because I always felt not having the holes in the upper wing skin (BAS system) was a real improvement design wise. I have a strange aversion to drilling holes in boats or airplanes. Maybe if we can show them there might be a market for their product they may continue their efforts with the FAA??!
Steve McGreevy
N8293A '53 C170B
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:John, would you have the install drawings we might ad to our library. We have the Wag drawings, and I think we have the BAS but might be confusing them with the BAS pull handle drawings we have.
I couldn't find the instructions, Bruce. I did find this drawing, which I believe is from their marketing material.

John
Hooker_drawing.pdf
(945.58 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Attention N8293A,
In your above comment you mention holes in the upper cabin skin in conjunction with the installation of BAS shoulder harness.
I have made BAS shoulder harness installations and I do not recall any holes required in the upper cabin skin.
Explanaion, please.
BL
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

blueldr wrote:Attention N8293A,
In your above comment you mention holes in the upper cabin skin in conjunction with the installation of BAS shoulder harness.
I have made BAS shoulder harness installations and I do not recall any holes required in the upper cabin skin.
Explanaion, please.
Dick, I think Steve is refering to the two rivets that Bass requires removal of to mount their shoulder harnes bracket (circle number 2 in the below drawing).
Bass Shoulder harnes mount.jpg
Attachments
Bass Shoulder harnes mount.pdf
(587.84 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Curiously, the above installation drawing is completely different than the one I used. The screw shown in circle #2 was not used in my intallation and there was nothing that penetrated the cabin roof skin.
BL
paulbritton88

Post by paulbritton88 »

I'm curious about several of your comments referencing difficulty reaching the flaps with the fixed harness on. Does the hooker harness have an adjustable length strap(s)? The pic on their web site just shows the lap buckle.

Post by jrenwick »

paulbritton88 wrote:I'm curious about several of your comments referencing difficulty reaching the flaps with the fixed harness on. Does the hooker harness have an adjustable length strap(s)? The pic on their web site just shows the lap buckle.
Yes, you can loosen and tighten the Hooker shoulder straps. If you need to loosen them to reach the flap handle, you can.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift