Time for Paint!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

apex ak

Time for Paint!

Post by apex ak »

I have owned my bird since 05 and the paint is in bad shape. I was going to paint it myself due to the resources at my hangar, but I now have realized that I work to much to take on this task. So, I need to find a paint shop that will care for my plane as I would. Can anyone recommend a paint shop I can trust with my baby? I live in the Houston area but I am not opposed to taking it out of state if it is worth the logistics.
I am also struggling with the paint scheme decision. Friends keep telling me to go with a modern paint job, while I like the classic paint scheme. What is your opinion?
N 1876C 53 170 B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Time for Paint!

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've never seen a 170 with a modern paint scheme that looked good. She is a classic keep her looking like a classic.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

It's kind of a shame that the TIC170A forums don't have a galery page where members can post a couple of pictures of their pride and joy so that the members can get an idea of what they'd like to have if they plan on repainting. If you're at all like me, I can't for the life of me come up with any sort of a paint or trim scheme that I would want on my own airplane.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr wrote:It's kind of a shame that the TIC170A forums don't have a galery page where members can post a couple of pictures of their pride and joy so that the members can get an idea of what they'd like to have if they plan on repainting. If you're at all like me, I can't for the life of me come up with any sort of a paint or trim scheme that I would want on my own airplane.
Not a gallary but just as good is our Photo Album thread: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=5&t=7988

I've made it a sticky so it won't get lost but be at the top of all the threads.

jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Three suggestions 8O
1. Go with the paint scheme you would like. Not what others recommend. However, look at lots of pictures of 170's before deciding. 8)
2. Once you decide on paint scheme you will need a detailed pattern for new scheme or lots of photos of a classic design you want to follow from existing planes to leave with the paint shop.
3. For paint shops, get a trade-a-plane and start calling the shops to get prices. (Input by others on the shops you call also helps). I was living near Austin when I had my plane painted. I called three shops in TX, then 3 shops in OK, and 2 shops in AR. Each shop offered the same service and brand of paint, at that time (6 years ago). It was amazing the differences in price. TX was the most expensive, OK next and AR the least expensive. I settled on A.O.G. Paint Services in Mena, AR. (It was a $4000 savings vs. the highest shop). Also, search the forum for a 2004 post describing what type of service the paint shop should provide, ie, stripping, cleaning, minor repairs, coats of paint, removal and balance of controls, etc. Doug Mowry, '52 170B N8082A, posted the two pages of material Jan 30, 2004 under the topic "Need recommendations on Paint Shops". I can not find it at this moment. When I find the link I will post it. It sure helped me. I used this document during my calls and went line by line to make sure the paint shop did everything I wanted.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Here is the post from Doug Mowery Jim spoke about

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... s&start=21

hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

apex ak wrote:I have owned my bird since 05 and the paint is in bad shape. I was going to paint it myself due to the resources at my hangar, but I now have realized that I work to much to take on this task. So, I need to find a paint shop that will care for my plane as I would. Can anyone recommend a paint shop I can trust with my baby? I live in the Houston area but I am not opposed to taking it out of state if it is worth the logistics.
I am also struggling with the paint scheme decision. Friends keep telling me to go with a modern paint job, while I like the classic paint scheme. What is your opinion?
I don't envy your position! I went thru that process a few years ago and I can truly say I'm glad it's over. With that being said, the entire painting project could not have gone any better. It came out very nicely done and at a very reasonable price.

I don't know if the same arrangements could be made today but at the time, Del Lehman of Mountain Airframe in Mena, AR acted as the lead on my paint job. Del's shop did all the disassembly and reassembly, I did not want the paint shop doing it. Then Del did all the coordination between his shop and the paint shop, Amos Aircraft Painting.

Del's shop disassembled the plane after the initial strip was completed. He took off the horizontal and vertical stabs, flaps, control surfaces, doors, and cowl to be painted separately from the fuselage and wings. The wings were off also but not because of the paint job, they can stay on the plane unless you need other work done on them in the jig.

After the plane was painted, Del's shop reassembled all the pieces with new hardware and made sure the plane was airworthy.

Since my job, Del has closed his shop and I'm not sure if he can still act as the lead on another job in his new position. But, if he is able to do it, I would strongly recommend letting him do the same thing on your plane. You can trust he will take care of your plane and do a great job. Also, I don't know the status of Amos Painting but if they are still in business, Darrell Mos, the owner, who has painted everything from tiny homebuilts to C5A transports told me if he had his choice of planes to paint, he would paint nothing but C-170s. He did a beautiful job on mine.

As far as scheme is concerned, I spent months finalizing the one I used. Just don't get in a hurry and sleep on it many times before you commit. I think some sort of classic design is the best on these planes. Those modern wavy patterns look good with a swept tail but just doesn't with the round tails.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
pojawis

Post by pojawis »

Maybe one could get paint scheme ideas from the 170 calendars, past and present.

Hagerstown Aircraft Services (Hagerstown, MD) have been painting/repairing aircraft for a very long time; over 60 years. Tracey Potter is the new owner/boss of the outfit. He's been there over 30 years, I believe. It was originally known as Alphin's Aircraft. They do nice work. It's a long way from TX, but worth a phone call, in my opinion.

http://www.hgrair.com/.
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

It's a 60 plus year old airplane. You can't go wrong with an original paint scheme. A current Cessna paint scheme on a 170 looks like a 65 year old woman trying to dress like she's 21...it's not something you want to call your own!

Custom or "modern" paint jobs can be a drag if/when it comes time to sell your baby. I once saw a green and purple Stinson 108 for sale the guy couldn't give away, and other than the horrific colors, it was a very nice airplane.

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

I agree with Russ that the best looking paint would be the original paint scheme. If you don't want polished aluminum, still go original with either white or silver where it was originally polished aluminum. Just my opinion.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
170C

Post by 170C »

I happen to think that original 170 paint schemes are really nice. However you may not wish to have the pain of keeping most of your plane polished. Nothing is as stricking as a polished plane, but oh the work to keep it looking good. In my opinion a white base is hard to beat, then add the color of choice and scheme that you like. My 172 was painted silver and dark blue when I purchased it and I flew it that way for 11 years. When I repainted it I went with the white base color and I still think white is a really striking base color. It makes a plane that was some other color look like a totally different airplane. Of course if you want to go really fast you may want to use a GREEN scheme or if not then RED is OK too :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: We will want to see photos as well.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

No doubt this would cost a few bucks, but these guys may help. And its a 170B, not a 179 :roll:

http://www.schemedesigners.com/Sample-C170-Mohan.htm

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Once you get away from the original paint scheme, it will take some time to come up with something that looks just as good or better. Not to say it can't be done but its much more difficult to make it look good and virtually everyone will have an opinion as to what looks good. My plane was painted cream, orange and brown when I bought it. When a hangar door fell on it, I had a paint shop change the brown to french blue (purple). I thought it was beautiful but most thought I had had too much fortification whilst choosing the colors. It was bright but the colors worked together which isn't something I can say for the previous pic posted as in my opinion the contrast between these two colors (white and orange) isn't right for a classic. Its not the right white. So the more color, the more design, the greater the complexity and degree of execution required to get it right.
In my case I painted part of the plane and laid out the lines and it shows. I think I'll do better next time knowing what I know now.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You have an excellent opportunity to participate over at the Houston SW airport (Arcola, TX area) ... Bill Murmer's wife sold his paint shop and they still do good work. Advantage will be that you can keep in touch while the work goes on.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
apex ak

Post by apex ak »

Thank you everyone for your input. Im leaning toward the classic paint scheme. I like the one from the December 06 calendar. I would love to go with the polished alum but I am not sure about bringing it back after stripping all the paint. I am waiting for a quote from Murmur, should have it tomorrow. Ive been quoted 11,200 from the guys in Ok.
N 1876C 53 170 B