Headliner replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

All Fund Out

Headliner replacement

Post by All Fund Out »

I need to relace the headliner in our 53 170B [25573]. The previous custom headliner was 18 years old , the foam backing deteriorated & turned into a greasy tar !
I have decided to go with a headliner from either Airtex of one offered by Aircraft Spruce. The Airtex is $395.00 versus $206.00 from Aircraft Spruce. Cost is not a factor, I simply want a good fit & easy installation.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these two suppliers regarding headliners ?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Rick Paine
Rick P
falco

Re: Headliner replacement

Post by falco »

I did an airtex headliner a while back. I chose the wool fabric, took an afternoon to install but it wasn't difficult. I think that was about 10 years ago, still looks nice. one upside of the wool is that if there are some modest wrinkles, a little water in a spray bottle will make the wool tighten up/.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Best choice for installation. Good product but best in fitment. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

My AI recently replaced the headliner in his older C-175, which appears to be identical to the '55 & '56 B-model 170 ("square" back windows). Since the airplane is a rental, he got the less expensive one from Spruce. When he got it, it had an Airtex label on it. 8O
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Put an Airtex in over 25 years ago and it still looks as good today as when it was put in. The plane has been hangared the whole time so that might have some influence on the longevity.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:My AI recently replaced the headliner in his older C-175, which appears to be identical to the '55 & '56 B-model 170 ("square" back windows). Since the airplane is a rental, he got the less expensive one from Spruce. When he got it, it had an Airtex label on it. 8O
Spruce often represents and under-sells other mfr's products without specifically mentioning their origins. I presume they do this by accepting all responsibility for service/support/defects. (The tailwheel mainspring comes to mind... mfr'd by Univair, but Spruce offers it for less money.)

Airtex is a good headliner and they also are a supporter of this Assoc'n. They (and Univair) both advertise in our publications.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
All Fund Out

Post by All Fund Out »

I wish to thank all that responded to my headliner inquiry. From what I have learned, Airtex is my choice, especially as they support the C170 Association.
Rick Paine
Rick P
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

I installed a wool one from Spurce this past year and the fit was good and I had no issues installing it. I went with Spruce because they are local to me and I just drove over there to pick it up. They have a lady that sews them up from patterns. I like the quality of mine.