Windshield reinforcement strip

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IdahoPilot

Windshield reinforcement strip

Post by IdahoPilot »

Hello all, So I am new here. So I guess I should give a little info about myself. I am a Helicopter CFI/CFII and a Airplane private pilot, currently in school to get my a&p. Love the 170 and am currently working on one at school.

Which brings me to my question. The 170 I am working on is a full rebuild for a WWII corsair pilot, (which I thought was pretty cool) and we are putting in a new windshield. The windshield is from LP aero, and they told me because it is the original 170, the STC for a one piece windshield is not allowed.

The center reinforcement strip is missing, and as far as we have found, it is unavailable. So we need to build one. Does anyone possibly have to measurements on this. Mainly the width, and thickness of material the factory used on the inside and out. Thank you so much for your time.

IdahoPilot
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
bagarre

Re: Windshield reinforcement strip

Post by bagarre »

All 170 windscreens are one piece.
The center strip is a reinforcement because the original window was thinner.
I've seen quite a few 170's without the center strip that used new (thicker) windscreens.

You might want to re-verify the details of the STC before drilling extra holes in your new windscreen.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

First, welcome -- you'll find a lot of information here. Some might even be useable!

If you find you need the center strip here's what I would suggest: The inside center strip on the straight 170 calls for p/n 0510000-8. This has been superseded to p/n 0510000-16 which is the same number as the early serial number C-170B's use. That strip is around 3/16" thick. Rather than buy the material to scratch build this part I think it would be cheaper to place an ad for one in our Trademart, the Association's Fly Paper, and/or online at Barnstormers. There have to be a lot of these strips (both inner and outer) gathering dust in hangars as the conversion to strapless is quite popular.

If the owner is not concerned about originality a windshield from Great Lakes Aero Products might have been a better choice. They are approved without the center strip. SA210GL
Last edited by n2582d on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
minton

Post by minton »

The center strip is not optional on thin windscreens even though they are one piece. That strips' primary function is to retain the windscreen in the frame thus preventing a unplanned blowout type departure. 8O

The thicker windscreens are center strip free only because of the alternate retention methods incorporated into the STC's. Usually either through machine screws passing through the upper windscreen/retainer strip or a plastic strip glued to the windshield plus a sheet metal retainer strip that takes the place of the old upper retension strip. (retains the upper windscreen area to the forward carry through spar)

AS suggested, research to see what windscreen is installed first and then go a search'in

As an asside: I have seen many strips broken, cracked, corroded or severly bent and still somehow passing inspections. :?:
IdahoPilot

Post by IdahoPilot »

After some checking, the windshield we have does in fact need the center strip. And I have looked all over for replacements, and am about to place an ad for one.

Does anyone have the actual dimensions?

IdahoPilot
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I have an intact inside strip (thick) and an outer (thin) strip that broke near the top. Portions of both parts can be seen in the second photo here: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7897

How does $25 sound? I'll ship. Or, if you'd like I'll run out to the airport and measure them.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
zenpilot

Post by zenpilot »

Warning-potential thread hijack!

What is the weight difference (installed) of the older/thinner plus retainer strap, versus the newer thicker version? Ounces? A pound? Couple pounds?

Yeah, I know it shouldn't matter compared to the increases in visibility, but ...

If a guy had a dream, and it involved a 1100# 170B, every pound might matter.
Lightweight starter...
Lightweight battery...
Removal of extraneous gauges/dials /wiring/venturies/seats/interior/paint and random trips to the super-bar at wendy's...

Karl

EDIT: from the great lakes aero page, STC data, looks like the newer version adds 3.8#s! So...
minton

Post by minton »

Don't forget the 8.50's, 180 gear, big tailwheel etc, etc. :lol:
IdahoPilot

Post by IdahoPilot »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I have an intact inside strip (thick) and an outer (thin) strip that broke near the top. Portions of both parts can be seen in the second photo here: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7897

How does $25 sound? I'll ship. Or, if you'd like I'll run out to the airport and measure them.
We may have to take you up on that. Especially with the thickness of the inside piece. If you have time, it would be awesome to know the dimensions though.
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Remember all folks are welcome to participate in most of our forum areas. I'm glad IdahoPilot came here and asked the question and it seems Miles has a very reasonable solution to his problem. But Idaho Pilot is not a TIC170A member so he can not advertise here at our TradeMart. Perhaps he'll see fit to get even more interested in a 170 and then when can pressure him in to joining the association.

Personally if I could, being a fellow helicopter pilot, I'd like to cut IdahoPilot some slack and let him advertise in the TradeMart. We'd have TIC170A member privileges, Helicopter Pilot privileges, which would be darn near as good, and then everyone else. Good think it's not up to me. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Amicable divorce, Military Intelligence, Good Lawyer, Helicopter pilot..... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
runerider

Post by runerider »

Are you sure they are not a member? I was able to PM them and got a reply, and their bio shows them joining on the 5th. I've all ways believed rotor heads need a little slack.
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

runerider wrote:Are you sure they are not a member? I was able to PM them and got a reply, and their bio shows them joining on the 5th. I've all ways believed rotor heads need a little slack.
PM's work on participants (non TIC170A Members) and Members alike. If their username (profile) does not show a Member NUMBER...they are not registerd at the forums as a TIC170A Member (and if their username at each post does not show an avatar or TIC170A logo, they are likely not a TIC170A Member.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
runerider

Post by runerider »

I must be looking at the wrong viewing profile I don't show a # and neither do you. I am also one with shame since I'm a holder of a rotorcraft-helicopter and instrument helicopter .
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
IdahoPilot

Post by IdahoPilot »

Its true I am not a paying member. I joined the forum on the fifth.
Ken Nimer
1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing.