Greetings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dkalwishky

Greetings

Post by dkalwishky »

I just joined the association after reading the online forums for the last few months.

My name is Dave, I live in Iowa and own a 1956 C172 (ya know, it has the training wheel on the front).

I've had a thing for taildraggers all of my flying years, I learned to fly in a 7AC Champ, tons of fun! I figure in about 5 years I am going to sell my 172 and purchase either a 170B or a 180. Haven't really decided. Probably will go the 170 route as it will be cheaper to insure and that means more money for gas and fun upgrades :)
eichenberger

Post by eichenberger »

Why not just convert your '56 172 to a tailwheel? After owning your present plane, and likely getting it up to your standards, you don't have to go thru the hassle of getting another airplane. You know what you have now, and converting it can get you the best of both worlds, plus increase the value of it.
Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
jeichenberger@ehlawyers.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Affectionately referred to around here as the C170C :D
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Many '56 Cessna 172's actually have both tri-cycle and conventional gearboxes in them. Both the 172 and the 170B that year proceeded down the same assembly line, and Cessna was unsure how many of each airplane would sell, so they maximized their opportunities.
Cessna actually even produced the "straight-tail" 170 version and intended to give it the 170-C nomenclature. But they quickly saw their orders for the trike skyrocket and the conventional gear fall, so they un-did the deed and unconverted the airplane.
By 1957 all the airplanes were known as 172's.
If you aren't in love with round tail feathers :? , then you could certainly look into a taildragger conversion of your airplane. You'll know a lot more about the airplane you own that way.
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

I thought very seriously abut a taildragger conversion, however the cost is rather steep. I am waiting for harry at Del-Air to finalize an STC he is working on, I wil look at the costs at that point and decide what to do.

Next time the plane is in for work I am going to have the floor boards pulled and have my A&P check to see if in fact I do have the forward gear boxes already there.

I have spent the last couple of years getting this plane equiped just the way I want it, it's been an expensive process and one that I don't wish to repeat...
eichenberger

Post by eichenberger »

You just began to mention the reason to convert it. After owning several (about 10) airplanes in my lifetime, I always figure that it takes about 3 years and who knows how much money to get a new airplane up to my standards, and to put in the little extras that it always lacks.
If you really do the numbers, assuming that your 172 is just the way you want it to be now, you'll save money converting it over buying another plane and then starting all over again with repairs, upgrades, etc.
Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
jeichenberger@ehlawyers.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Ditto Jerry's comments.
Plus,the straight-tail "170C's" look pretty cool!
Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Double ditto!
Doug
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

I agree, there is something about the straight tail that I really like, I just like the looks of it :D
cessnet

100 years of PILOTS

Post by cessnet »

This next six month of 03 will be huge in terms of celebrations and parties around the pilot world. It's great that most folks solo in a Cessna and that shows you how important of a pilot Clyde Cessna was to this centennial.

I remember my family talk of him in Kansas. In fact, my grandmother told me many stories of him (her father) and I hope share them with you at your NC Flyin.

I will bring the coffee beans roast in FL, but grown in HI.

I also have powerpoint slide shows for anybody wanting to hear the story of how a guy born in a sod home, educated all the way to the fifth grade, build and taught himself how to fly only 7 years after the Wright bros..... :lol:
Coffee, Computers, Aviation Community