tail springs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

russ murri

tail springs

Post by russ murri »

Iam in the process of changing my tail main leaf spring, is it advisable to have the rest of the springs rearched or not . How many springs make up the pack? My ragwing has total of 4 springs spruce shows 5 but not sure this is for 48 models.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

The way it was described to me is the early airplanes had 5 leafs,
the later 4 (not sure where the cutover is, but I want to say it is with
the B model....? Others with more experience please chime in).

I just replaced all (4) leafs on my B. Not knowing any better, I
bought a 5-leaf kit from Aircraft Spruce (Univair part numbers/PMA
stickers were still on the leafs). I think the difference between
buying the (4) leafs individually vs the 5 leaf kit is minimal cost-wise.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't bother having the rest of the springs
re-arched. Either just replace the main leaf (which, I understand,
is the one that breaks) or spend the "C" note ($100 bucks or so)
to replace all the leafs. My old leafs were tired (considerable amount
of rust). The main leaf was so "worn", there was no kink in the aft end
(where the tailwheel bolts to). After replacing all the leafs, my steering chain(s) were short (tight) and I had to add another link in each chain to relieve some of the tension.

Might mention that I had a slight tailwheel shimmy problem before
I replaced all the leafs (usually with full fuel, a decent load and full
aft-yoke during a 3-pointer landing). This shimmy went away completely with the new tailspring installation. I suspect the proper geometry of the Scott tailwheel kingpin with relationship to the ground was restored with the new leafspring assy.

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Russ,my 1948 IPC shows 5 leafs in the tail spring assembly:
p/n's 0542106 (main leaf),0542105,0442108-2,0442109-2,& 0442107.
Anyone know the significance of the 054 versus 044 at the beginning of the part numbers?
I see that Univair sells the main leaf alone,as well as the whole tailspring assembly,and that they show two different assembly part numbers,one for the 170 and one for the 170A&B.
I would either buy from Univair,or if Spruce has a significantly lower price,see if Spruce can sell you the 170-specific assembly.

Eric
russ murri

spring assembly

Post by russ murri »

Eric if you look at the spring assembly riveted to your tail cone is it the box type or does it have two fingers that go up each side of fusalage, mine has the fingers my serial # 81419, dont know if it has been changed or not but you will only get a total of 4 springs in mine. My parts book shows the box type. I have a parts book for just the 48 model.
zero.one.victor

Russ,my ragwing has been fitted with the later finger- style tailspring "bracket assembly,tailwheel mounting". My s/n is 18534,I'm pretty sure this is not the factory bracket for a 48 model,but my airplane had the fuselage replaced (yes,REPLACED!) during a post-groundloop repair in 1960.
I seem to recall that my tailspring ass'bly had 5 springs total,I'll try to remember to check it out next time I'm at the airport and post the results.
I don't thin it's too critical,if the later models had 4 springs from the factory they were obviously enough to do the job,so if the 4-spring assembly fits,go for it.

Eric
russ murri

number of springs

Post by russ murri »

I called Spruce and all they have are the 5/ spring units. they are also on backorder. Iam corn fused my tail spring bracket will only accept 4 springs i cant get 5 in there. Has anyone bought springs from wag-aero? There parts catalog shows for the 1948-1950 model only, picture shows 4 springs. HELP like I said earlier my bracket is the type with the fingers down the side, why do I only have 4 and Eric has same bracket and has 5 once again HELP russ(feeling small)
zero.one.victor

Russ,I said I THINK I have 5 not 4,but I was wrong once,maybe it's happening again. I flew today,but forgot to check out the tailspring assembly. I'll try to remember next time......
Who can look in their IPC for a later (B) model & see what tailspring assembly p/n goes with the later finger-style tailcone bracket Russ refers to? And how many springs they show?
Also,I'd like to write down the p/n for the later finger-style bracket in my 1948 IPC,so could you post that info also?

Eric
russ murri

bracket

Post by russ murri »

I can get you the number by monday , a shop in town is trying to convert a 172 to conventional gear, they have two brackets one is new and has a part # stamped on it. They claim that type of bracket is for a bird dog. anyone bought from wag aero before? Russ
zero.one.victor

I think I bought some stuff from Wagaero once. They're OK. I usually buy from Spruce or Chief cuz they're cheaper. Wagaero and Univair sell a lot of parts of rold classics.
The Bird-dog and the 170 share a lot of parts,and a lot of parts are real similar even if they're not identical &/or interchangable.
The Bird-dog (L-19,0-1,Cessna 305),produced starting in 1950, was just a 170A squeezed down to a 2 place tandem,fitted with tall gear,a 213-horse Continental engine,and modified wings with a lot of dihedral & BIG flaps. Heavier airplanes,so naturally a lot of their components are heavier-duty.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Call Univair for the spring kit. Spruce probably says it's back-ordered 'cause they get them from Univair!

The 5th spring is a short little thing, so if you're in a bind, just buy
the 5 spring kit and throw the 5th (top/short) spring away (or
use it as a door stop, paperweight, whatever).

Eric, the later finger style bracket PN is 0512000-75

The IP manual shows (4) springs for a B model, and there
is no "assy number" for the 4 springs in a group (the part
numbers are called out individually for all 4 springs).

Main/bottom leaf is item -11, PN 0542106
Next leaf up is item -12, PN 0542105
Next leaf up is item -13, PN 0442108-2
Final/top leaf is item -14, PN 0442109-2

PS Eric, in another thread, you asked about Moment/Arm figures
associated with the lady gear legs. I'm not ignoring you, just ain't
found the data yet in my pile of organized (yeah right....) paperwork!

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
pauldpilot

tailsprings

Post by pauldpilot »

I'm on the phone right now w/Univair, they are out of stock right now on the 0542106 main leaf spring. Probly about a month away.
Very helpful, great guys.
pauldpilot
zero.one.victor

N170BP wrote:
The 5th spring is a short little thing, so if you're in a bind, just buy
the 5 spring kit and throw the 5th (top/short) spring away (or
use it as a door stop, paperweight, whatever............
Main/bottom leaf is item -11, PN 0542106
Next leaf up is item -12, PN 0542105
Next leaf up is item -13, PN 0442108-2
Final/top leaf is item -14, PN 0442109-2
I see that the p/n's are the same as for the ragwing's 4-spring set,the top spring (p/n 0442107) is just left out. Wierd....

Eric
zero.one.victor

Russ,I checked my airplane today. turns out I DID make a mistake-- it only has 4 leafs, not 5 like I thought. So I guess maybe that's all that fits in the later-style bracket.

Eric
russ murri

bracket

Post by russ murri »

Eric I said that this shop in town has two boxs , last night in bed ,nothing else to do I remembered that the two boxs that he had are a little differant in the top of the box one has a cut out about 3/4 of an inch in depth this is where the clamp goes around the spring and the box the other one does not have this notch and probably would take another spring. PRICE is the only differance from spruce and wag-aero not quality? Thanks Russ
russ murri

oh,oh,oh MR CATTER MR CATTER

Post by russ murri »

I forgot something . when I took my springs out there wasn't a bushing in the large hole of the spring pack. my parts book it shows a bushing in the spring and rubber shims above and below the springs also the box isnt the same as mine so the rubber might not fit but what about this bushing can you buy it or fabricate it?

Russ

thanks for the part numbers on the springs,
where do you get this I P book?