Push Rod Lengths

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

barry miller

Push Rod Lengths

Post by barry miller »

I am currently trying to finish my in hanger major overhaul on my C145-2. As I understand it, the hydraulic lifters can only facilitate a .030 to .110 valve lash. My clearances range from .148 to .172 with a fully deflated lifter. I have new ECI Titan cylinders installed with a new camshaft (original part number). The hydraulic units and Followers were certified by Aircraft Specialties, The rocker arms were overhauled by an area jobber. My IA tells me I need an oversize pushrod. If I had one .070 longer, everything would be within the limits. Can anyone help me find a solution?
BARRY & KAREN MILLER
LINCOLN IL
N8303A 1952 C-170B
bmillercfi@gmail.com
mod cessna

Re: Push Rod Lengths

Post by mod cessna »

This condition you have described is very normal. New everything and the engine will still not make spec valve clearance with P.030 push rods. There are P70 push rods that you can get from Fresno Air Parts, but i do not know if they are certified parts. The engine will run just fine with the clearance you have but with a new engine like you have you might as well start off with it in spec. Your rocker arms are probably the most worn down followed by the tappets. So if you do not want to go with P70 push rods you could run P30's but you would probably have to buy new rocker arms if you want to make spec. Or take the engine back apart and install new tappets as well :lol: