engine noise....????

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

:x :x :x :x :x :x

Well...........I went up flying for about 1 hour......you are right......I talked to mena engine, they said the same thing......I really need to fly it for about 45min to 1 hour.......The knocking sound may have gotten quieter but its hard to tell.....all I know is.....its still knocking......I am waiting for my .30 over push rods, but I dont think this will fix the prob. The clearence is within limits.....but then again..........its an airplane :wink: Oh :x and now I have oil all over the inside of the cowl.....I have no idea where this is comming from all of the sudden.........but it has to do with pulling the cyl. back and working on this knocking prob. The oil is on the same side as the knock.............
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
kloz

Post by kloz »

Sounds like you did not change the cylinder base seal. Be very careful not to roll it. Also I always change the push rod tube boots. You have to pull the cylinder out far enough to remove the piston pin. Leave the piston in the cylinder. You will need a ring squeezer to get the oil ring back in the cylinder as you go back together with things. You A&P should have all this equipment.
Carl
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

We just pulled the Cyl. back just enough to get to the tappets.....I am hopeing that the oil is just from some oil that spilled when we were doing all of the work. I am going to wipe all of the oil up and fly it tomorrow and see if I have any more oil around.
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Very interesting.....I am still out at sea right now but, my A&P put the londer puchord in and apparently it doesn't make the noise any longer. I've got my fingers crossed!!! Should be another week or so and I'll take 39A up and let ya know.

Good luck with that lifter!

Chris 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

I ordered my longer push rods for that cyl. They should be in any day now......I sure hope that makes a diff. Im not sure it will in my case since the play was within limits......I am going to go fly tomorrow and see if thing quiet down on this next flight, but I would imagine the tapets would be pumped up by now....who knows
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Just talked to one of the guys at my hangar, I guess the shop finished the work and it's still making a ticking noise. The pushrod was the incorrect length but changing it didn't really do anything :? They want to keep trouble-shooting but I am going to wait until I get back and listen to it. Checked the mags, reman'd generator, pushrods correct.......

anyone? could it be a wrist pin? spung bearing? The shop doesn't think so but.......
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

Maybe we just have special engines that like to talk :lol:
Sorry.....Im trying to keep a smile.......Nothing worked for me either......One lifter tappet (that was failing 50% of the time) Replaced...No change.....Longer push rods....NO change.....The plane runs great, everything is in the normal, and when I am flying the engine is just as quiet and smooth as silk.......its just when I get on the ground it starts to make a ticking or knocking noise of some sort....
I am begining to wonder if the lifters just are not pumping up quite enough on the ground and that is what is making the noise.......then when I firewall the power the lifters pump up and away I go!!!!!!!!!!
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Sent you a PM.

Maybe the oil journals are constricted just enough to that at lower RPMs the fronts are not getting enough pressure?
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

Here is an off the wall possibility, perhaps there is a slight seating problem with the oil pressure relief valve and your oil pressure gauge is showing signs of age. At idle, the oil pressure would be on the low side, causing the lifter noise.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Don't think that last one is likely (oil relief valve.)

How 'bout this: Insufficient clearance between the engine/accy's and adjacent structure such as cowl/exhaust/airframe. I once spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get a "knocking" out of a C-175 and it turned out to be nothing more than sagging engine mounts that allowed contact with the cowl/engine-mount. Sure sounded like an engine knock, tho'.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

I wish it was that easy.........Mine knocks with the cowl on or off.......I was talking to a well trusted engine builder here in Tennessee and he listened to the engine and said he didnt here anything unusual......He has been working on engines for a long long time........I think he did an overhaul on the Wright Flyer 8O .............Anyway....Im not sure he could even here the engine running let alone the knock... :wink:
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Good ideas, I'll check the clearances when I get back. On the oil pressure comment, my oil pressure comes up to the low side and stays steady, increasing as I run it up and remains steady at cruise, always with-in gauge limits.
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Sean,
I'm not real familiar with this engine, but I'll take a stab at a possibilty for the noise. We installed a TIO540 in a Navajo a while back and it made a similar ticking/knocking noise when idling and also when we would pull it through by hand. It turned out being the rocker arms having side to side play on the rocker shaft. When the cam lift would just begin putting pressure on the pushrod it would cause the rocker arm to slide to one side of the shaft, up against the shim at the rocker boss. Then when pressure was relieved it would relax against the other. It did this only at idle. I guess at higher RPM it didn't have the time to move away from the shim. We checked clearances and were right. Then we checked the other engine, which had not been overhauled and it made the same noise. Might check that and call Robert to see what the clearnace should be
Last edited by wingnut on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

8O

This may cost a few bucks more than I thought!!
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

Thanks Dell,

That is about the best idea yet..........Mine was knocking before the rebuild...... I may have to give that a try........Nice to here from you again.......

OH by the way.......Everyone that has seen my engine says it is the best engine installation they have seen.......Thanks for the GREAT Work!!!!!!
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A