Pitot Static

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Mike Smith

Pitot Static

Post by Mike Smith »

Any one in Northern California have a favorite avionics shop they'd like to recommend for a pitot/static check? Preferably one familar with venturi vacuum systems.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Don't know a particular shop to recommend, but I gotta ask....what has the venturi vacuum system got to do with the pitot static system?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

gahorn wrote: but I gotta ask....what has the venturi vacuum system got to do with the pitot static system?

me too :?:
Tim
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

That must explain why George's plane is so slow.

Anyway, the pitot/static system is a separate independant system and is not related to the performance of the venturi. The venturi provides vaccum to the directional gyro, the attitude indicator and in some aircraft the turn and bank.

If the venturi and static port somehow got interconnected the airpseed indicator would read high along with the altitude, one would see an increase in rate of climb with airspeed, and a flyby the gauges pilot would fly slower.
n2582d

pitot-static check

Post by n2582d »

Mike,

Isn't the peanut gallery helpful? :wink:

Jim Stenger is an A-300 captain who is also an A&P/A.I. He does pitot-static checks at Columbia. I don't have his work phone number but if you would like him to contact you I could give him your e-mail address or phone number.
Gary
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Mike - the guys that used to call themselve Bay Avionics, Doug and Dale, have relocated to Livermore and started up again. Doug and Dale have partnered with Sierra to train their Techs and kick start an avionics shop. The number I use to have for them is 510-638-1056 if that doesn'y work let know and I'll go knock on their door. Their shop is located inside the Sierra Hangar just East of the Tower. Great guys.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:Don't know a particular shop to recommend, but I gotta ask....what has the venturi vacuum system got to do with the pitot static system?
Everybody knows that if your gyros are powered by venturis, you can get a "VFR-only" pitot-static check. If you have a vacuum pump, they have to take the altimeter up to 60,000 feet! :D :twisted: :D :twisted:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

The venturi has little to do with the pitot/static check, but since the inspector is poking around under the panel, I like to ask them to give it a close check. I want to know if something doesn't look right or looks like it might need some maintenance attention.

I don't want "just" a pitot/static sign-off. I want a visual inspection of the hoses and venturi by an expert. And, if need be, repair to the "needy" item. Since the Annual Inspection concentrates more on the Airframe and Engine, I would like the pitot/static check to encompus my vacuum system.

Does that make sense? ... I figure a few extra dollars of prevention may save me from having to do a partial panel instrument approach. Call me crazy, but that's what I'm lookin' for.

Thanks for all the input.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
thammer

Post by thammer »

If I thought my IA wasn't paying close attention to the entire airplane during an annual, including all the vacuum system hoses and everything else he sees under/behind the panel, I'd be shopping for a new IA. If he saw or ran into something that was outside his experience I know he'd recommend a visit to a vacuum instrument expert.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I think that's a good plan, Mike! (I kinda figured that was what was going on, but you never know what some folks might think when they get off the beaten track..... I once looked for a wife in a singles-bar.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)