REMOVABLE STEP

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

k0al

REMOVABLE STEP

Post by k0al »

Folks,

Several months ago "fourstripes" in Ontario posted images of a simple removable step that slipped over the landing gear leg of a C-140 / 170 to provide access to the fuel cells when a step ladder was not available.

As I recall, several of us inquired if we could buy one. He was unable to comply, but did share the dimensions with us. I made a copy and was recently showing it off to some folks at KCCY where my 170 is having an annual done.

A local pilot / machinist there looked my copy over and decided he would make one, which he did with one change. He added a flat plate on the inside for use as a jack point.

He is willing to make these if anyone wants one.

Larry Hansen is his name and his e mail address is:

Larrysplanes@Yahoo.com

I have no stake in this, just trying to share a neat idea and provide a source for such.

Al Culbert N5455C
mit

Post by mit »

Can you post a picture and how much?
Tim
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

mit wrote:Can you post a picture and how much?
Me too me too, Alaska needs steps :!: 8) Actually someone (Tom Downey) told me about them recently but I'm doggoned if I could find them either, so I look forward to more info!
Last edited by futr_alaskaflyer on Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Alan, get a handful and bring to Petit Jean! They'll sell in no time. I'm looking for one.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
k0al

REMOVABLE STEP

Post by k0al »

I did take some digital images. I'll see if I can master getting an image into this system. Baring that, sent me a PM to k0al@mchsi.com and I will send images to the interested parties.

As for pricing, contact Larry directly. I am not involved with their production or sales.

If he has some available I would gladly bring them to Petit Jean (providing my 170 is flyable by then).

Al, N5455C
tshort

Post by tshort »

I contacted Larry last week (by email) and have not heard back ...

Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
futr_alaskaflyer

I got hold of Larry and he is sending me one, he has several on hand. Email him.

Here's a picture he sent me. He will also paint it in a nice cherry red or fluorescent yellow.

Richard
N3477C
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

This is a great idea. Very innovative, an "Elegant" 8) design. A mite expensive :( . $80 for the step plus $10 for shipping. Have to save my pennies for this. Wonder if you could place two on one MLG leg for balance.
Chuck
4stripes

step and "patent pending"

Post by 4stripes »

I think it is great that we can share info to help each other but I am not impressed that my idea will be patented as someone else's.
I supplied pictures and dimentions to help those who wanted their own step. This step was developed with the help of one of our members and I think that it should not be sold with the intention of making a profit.
This website should not be exploited, as it is an invaluable aid to keep a classic aircraft airworthy.
Respectfully
Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Eric, I agree with you wholeheartedly, and this is one example of the dilemna's I sometimes have to deal with as moderator.
In this particular case, I simply had to make a judgement call, as to whether or not the membership benefits more than the nonmembership status of a commercial venture. Since the pic was first posted, in order to make a determination, I contacted the maker and solicited one as a donation to this year's convention in Kelowna, and he has confirmed to me as Parts/Mx advisor that he intends to provide one, so I've taken the position that he is indeed a supporter of TIC170A. Also, I believe many members will have an interest in acquiring one and so the info and picture posted here will assist them in making their own...or making their decision as to value.

In any case, I seriously doubt that any patent will be forthcoming for the maker, since 1- it's not a new or unique idea, (it's been around a while before in various forms made by several different people, so I doubt it meets the criteria for a patentable idea) and 2- it's been offered for sale prior to it's patent application was made (if any), (a direct contradiction of the requirements to make patent application.)
The stamping "pat.pend" may discourage copycats...it may not. The price may be the more significant determining factor. While I was determined to solicit one for donation to TIC170A,... I am less determined to pay $90 for one for myself. I already have some 1/2" aluminum plate I plan to cut into a 4" X 8" rectangle, then cut a 3/4" slot in one end and line the slot with cork gasket sheet. (think of a "E") This will copy the one Cleo Bickford has had and enjoyed for years, that I've been jealous of.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LEA

Easy Step

Post by LEA »

The step is not new ,I built mine for my C195B back in 1968 so I could reach the top of the wing to clean the windshield. I used 3/4 inch steel rod
and slipped pieces of cut heater hose over the rods to protect the gear leg paint.I did not patent my idea. it sure saved dragging a stepladder around
to clean the windshield and fuel the tanks.
Bob
Always a tail dragger! 1948 C170 Ragwing
Luscombe
Stinson V77
Waco UPF-7
Stinson Voager
Cessna 195B
futr_alaskaflyer

I posted it simply as a (hopefully) helpful FYI, which is why I purposefully left the price out of my post - that is between each of you and the seller. By no means am I promoting it, I was just passing on that Larry does indeed reply to emails. Someone previously had asked for a photo of one, and since no one else posted one, I did. I don't know Larry from Adam. Since I have no metalworking experience (past the junior high level :lol: )nor equipment I deemed it worthy of the .09 ASUs. Especially since it is likely one more piece of equipment that might keep me out of the emergency room. Compared to most aircraft parts and accessories the price is a pittance, and I am certainly not a wealthy man :wink:
Richard
N3477C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, Richard, ...it's certainly a nice product, and I have to admit, one of the better-constructed ones I've seen. I don't mean to cast any dispersion upon it's quality or value. Each will have to make their own decision whether or not it's something they want to spend their money on. It's nice to have the problem of having to decide....... right? At least somebody is making something for a 170 that has value and usefulness. (and the fact is, ....it's difficult to imagine that anyone can make one of these things for themselves for any less money. If all you need is one of them....then spending 80-90 for it is not all that out of line, considering what is involved and considering what other aviation-oriented items cost.
I'm grateful Larry has seen fit to take it on as a product for our airplanes. I wish him a lot of success. Without people like him, and those who help people like him,...it'd be unlikely that owners would have many accessories/necessities to choose from!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)