rotating beacon

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

silkyd

rotating beacon

Post by silkyd »

i just bought a whelen strobe to replace the rotating beacon...it was the one suggested in a previous topic. My mechanic installed it and it fit perfect. But he said when he went to do the paperwork there in no stc for the 170b. How does a person get this approved. Is it becauce it was not required at the time my 52 was made? He was going to contact the faa on monday...but i thought someone out there might know something.
jeff
Jeff
52 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Here is how I'd approach the FAA for your 337.

I can't remember if the rotating beacon was required or not but the strobe you bought is built under a FAA/PMA and is intended as a replacement for a beacon you already had installed under some type of approval.

This strobe more than likely exceeds the old beacons performance and therefor is a SAFETY improvement.

It was installed (I assume) per the manufacturers instructions and acceptable practices per 43.13.

And the icing on the cake is you can probably provide a list of similar aircraft that this strobe IS approved on.

I would think you would have no problem with the approval.

One thing I though. You and at least your mechanic SHOULD have checked this before the installation.

Normal practice is to ask the FAA for approval to do this before you actually do it. I wouldn't mention that you already did it unless it came up. Then I would lie about it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Replacement Whelen Strobe

Post by n2582d »

See http://www.whelen.com/aviation/Avserman.pdf I think you would have to follow Whelen's guidelines on page four entitled "Aircraft not specifically mentioned on elegibility list". You will also need to come up with an ICA--Instructions for Continued Airworthiness--to attach to your 337. As far as paperwork is concerned it would have been easier to get wingtip strobes--they are STC'ed for the 170.
Gary