rotating beacon question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

silkyd

rotating beacon question

Post by silkyd »

i have done a search and learned that whelen makes the hr-cfa 14/28v
strobe light that looks like a replacement...but a bit taller looking. They also make the sa-cf that does not appear to come with the lens. Has anyone done this replacement? Does the sa-cf fit right in the hole and allow you to use your old grimes lens? Or do i need to purchase the hr-cfa with the lens (it is actually less money). I noticed in the spruce catalog they list an adapter plate...will i need that to make for an easy install? Thanks for the help!
jeff
Jeff
52 170B
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

I hope I'm not asking a dumb question, but if you have the rotating one already installed on your airplane - have you tried to clean the gears and re-oil them? My beacon was getting real slooooow, and when I did this it perked right up! It's been a year now and I haven't had any problems. It'll save you some $$ if this is your problem too.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
silkyd

Post by silkyd »

this sat for about 10 yrs...when we did the annual we lubed it...and it work for a while...but now the lights come on but it will not spin...i tried spraing some wd 40 on the shaft and it seems stuck solid....if i take it all apart again it might get free but hard to tell!
jeff
Jeff
52 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The mounting adaptor is only used for new installations, where a hole is cut, and a mounting adaptor is needed to provide a "ring" to mount the strobe assy to. If you already had a Grimes rotating beacon installed on your airplane, you do not need the adaptor.)
The HR-CFA unit has a lens in three choices available: red, white, or red/white. The SA-CF has a clear lens of a much lower profile than the HF-CFA unit. (It has a lens, but it's clear, fits very close, and no options exist for color.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
silkyd

thanks

Post by silkyd »

thanks as always george...i will order the hr/cfa.
Jeff
52 170B