Spin on oil filter adapter identification

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

minton

Spin on oil filter adapter identification

Post by minton »

Help me out I'm stuck! trying to indentify the manufacturer that makes oil filter adapters for C-145/0-300. And then aquiring paperwork for same.(The kind that replaces the oil screen) By the log books Champion CH48110 filters have been used in the past. Hope that someone can help me out.
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Minton,
If no paperwork came with the airplane/filter, have you tried ordering the $5 FAA CD to see if a 337 was filed sometime in the past?

I've got the F&M filter on my airplane, but seem to remember that El Reno also sold a kit sometime in the recent past. I had the El Reno kit on my C90 powered Mooney.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi
Some time ago I was recommended the FM Enterprises filter adaptor see:
http://www.fm-enterprises.com/product.html
Is was an easy fit onto our 172D and has been a great benefit.
Bryce
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Mine is an El Reno which takes a Champion 48108-1 filter. I believe this is the same basic filter as the F&M one. I've never used the model of filter you are using. My engine is a C-145.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Minton, ... Does your filter adaptor look like the one Miles is offering? If so, it is a genuine TCM part and approved by the engine mfr. and Cessna via SK. It used the 48110 filter.
You can see a pic of it at Miles' ad in the TradeMart:

http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3350
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

My F & M Filter Adapter came yesterday. Here is a photo. How it gets assembled is left as an exercise for the reader. :wink:

Miles

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You're are joking, right?
(Slip the small copper gasket onto the tube. Slip the tube thru the adaptor. Slip the large copper gasket onto the tube between the adaptor and the accy case. Torque it to the specification. Safety wire it. Install the filter. Safety wire the filter.)
(or are you just pulling my leg?) :lol:

The only tricky part is making certain that the installation places the filter in such a position that engine movement will not place the filter against any other object. You'll likely need to consider it's relation to the gascolator-to-carb hose ...before you torque it down to the accy case.

Do not install this before you have the engine mounted to the airplane. Do it after all other accy's are installed. (Especially the gen/alt.) You will need to make certain it clears the mounts, etc. and you'll likely want to have the filter in a 6 o'clock position to help avoid spillage when changing the filter.

BTW, I borrowed a 1" square socket from my favorite Pratt & Whitney mechanic (common PT-6 tool) to easily torque it to spec.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
spiro

Post by spiro »

gahorn wrote: ... Does your filter adaptor look like the one Miles is offering? If so, it is a genuine TCM part ...
I believe the one Miles is offering for sale is a Cessna part, not TCM. The Cessna and TCM oil filter adapters are similar but different. Only the Cessna one has a (recurring) AD on it.

the aftermarket oil filter adapter has always been made by F&M but was sold only by El Reno for the first few years of production.

- paul
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Yes, George it was a joke. :lol: The installation instructions are very straightforward, although they don't mention installing it after all the other accessories. The probably assume that you are installing it on a mounted, runable engine, and it would be last by default. They do have you check for a mimimum clearance of 1/2 inch around the filter, I presume to give the engine room to shake around. What you call a "small" copper gasket is the AN900-28, just like the pressure screen would get. The wider gasket between the adapter and the case cover is some sort of fiber (the directions call it asbestos), and has the same 1-3/4 inch inside diameter.

Thanks for the heads-up on having everything in place before locating the filter adapter. I'll be moving the engine out of my AI's shop tomorrow and delivering it to the airplane. I had planned to get the F & M installed before I leave so as to make sure I'd have access to the tools. I already have the mount on the engine, and was going to drop the alternator in place to verify clearances. Guess I'll have to borrow a tool later or use a crow's foot and do a little math.

The fact that this adapter CAN be the last item installed is an improvement over the Cessna adapter, IMHO. The Cessna adapter absolutely would not go on with the Jasco alternator in place. For the filter to clear the mount, the adapter had to be installed with the filter toward the 5 o'clock position, from the perspective of the cabin. I don't recall the fuel line being an issue, but I've slept since then. Assuming the forward ends of both adapters would end up in the samp place, it appears the F & M will place the filter substantially lower, slightly further to the right (on the centerline of the mounting hole), and about double the rearward angle.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
steve grewing

Post by steve grewing »

When I spoke with F&M regarding their system about a year ago, I was told they changed the fwd gasket (at accessory case) from an AN900 to the fiber type due to recurring reports of leaks at that interface. They also increased the torque to 65 lb/ft. It was also stated that the STC was not revised for the changes. The complete gasket kit sold for $7.

Steve
170C

FM Filter Adapter

Post by 170C »

Shhh! Don't mention the word ASBESTOS too loud. The EPA will have the FAA issue an AD for asbestos remediation :!: For those of us whose engines aren't pretty newly overhauled, another advantage to the filter system, other than getting to pay near about $20 for the filter, is that the filter will be the lowest point on the engine and thus any oil leaks will end up on the bottom of the filter to be highly visible on the white filter :wink: Miles, that should be a problem for you with the new engine. Hope you are able to keep it dry. Let us know how the engine mounting and first run go. More photo's.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
dacker

Post by dacker »

I have the FM filter also. When I recently rebuilt the engine I put the adaptor on myself (my mechanic put it on originally). I must say that I was a little nervous torquing it down to 65 ft-lbs. That seemed excessive to me since the case is cast aluminum (isn't it?). Anyhow, I tried less and it just leaked until I torqued it per instructions. I didn't know about the new type gasket. I still have a very small leak, maybe I will try the new style gasket next oil change.
David