exhaust extensions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

silkyd

exhaust extensions

Post by silkyd »

my pipes only stick out the cowl a few inches on my 170b 1952..leaves some exhaust to clean off...is it common to put a short extension on there? Can it have a little bend in it? chrome? or do i just leave it alone?
Jeff
52 170B
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

The most common change is from stock to Benhom or Bartone exhaust where the exhaust is rerouted and the original holes are closed off. Do a search on Bartone or Benhom in this forum for a lot of discussion on the subject
JIM BAKER
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

I think that Jeff is referring to the extended exhaust stacks available from Wag Areo and others. It is not an extension, but about a 2" longer stack. I have seen them on quite a few 170's. I have them on my plane, but if I didn't I don't think I would put them on. There has been a lot of discussion on the subject. Do a search for exhaust extensions (search for all terms). and you will find a lot of info.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This has been discussed in other threads, and a search might be helpful.
There have been several Service News Letters issued by Cessna over the years over this issue. There have been cracks detected in the exhausts caused by "frequency-vibration" in the exhaust systems. This was addressed in several letters, one of them dealing with a change to the tailpipe braces, and another letter regarding tailpipe lengths.
SNL 8-10-01 specified that: "The pipes should be extended one inch below the cowl surfaces, with the cut being parallel to the cowling." WTTW
Most folks are concerned with exhaust stains on the lower cowl. Cutting the exhaust as specified will minimise that, and waxing the lower cowl will also be helpful. (I'd rather deal with exhaust stains than cracking exhausts.)
Then sometimes folks may install the extensions, ... but then buy strut-fairings, etc., and worry about other drag issues. :wink:
I consider the Benham/Bartone tailpipes a great solution to all these matters, providing that originality isn't an issue.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
trake

Post by trake »

My pipes are about 2 inches at most longer than stock. They keep some of the stains off. Ive seen some so long they look like walrus tusks. This is a controversial opinion but the Bartone/Benham exhausts seem pretty spendy for the amount of benefit unless it needs replaced anyway. You have to patch the holes in the cowl and without the pipes there the cowl seems oddly shaped IMHO
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D