Aftermarket combustion heater possibly available

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

Info from the company says recommended TBO on the heater is 2000 hours and that any repair station that can pressure test the janitrol or Southwind heaters commonly found in twins can do the pressure test on this one too. No AD's or SB's yet.

I'm certainly not committed, just toying with the idea. Plenty of folks up here fly with Carhart insulated coveralls and bunny boots as their "heater". Gotta find an airplane first!

Anyway if I get more info from C&D I will continue to post it for those that might be interested.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Carharts and "bunnyboots" will stay with you after you leave the landing site. I'm glad to see that someone does heaters, though. Keep us posted!
:P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4stripes

cold weather flying

Post by 4stripes »

Living in Canada, I always found the Cessna 1952 cabin heat anemic in temperatures below freezing (until I installed and modified a winterization kit). Now I can fly with reasonable comfort, but I always dress warmly flying in sub zero weather (for safety's sake). An unplanned landing in remote areas could be survivable, but fatal if unprepared. My bird had the gas heater (under the back seat) removed, and the fuel feed capped. The large hole was also patched up.
I'm not sure a gasoline fed fire under the back seat is worth the risk...
First try the winterization kit (with modifications listed on this forum)
warm clothing, and a simple fix for single pilot operation, is possibly an electric seat warmer (plugged into the cigarette lighter). I also always carry a blanket for the rear passengers (located right next to the puke bucket)!
Cheers Eric