Door Hinge Rivet Repair

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Door Hinge Rivet Repair

Post by Robert Eilers »

The pilot side upper door hinge of my C170 is bent slightly (curved) resulting in a spring like effect when the door is closed. The curve results in force on the upper hinge rivets. One of the rivet heads has popped off. I am trying to figure out how best to replace the rivet. I would rather not have to take the door apart in order to get to the back of the rivet. Is it acceptable to replace the door hinge rivet with a cherry type rivet that can be set from the exterior side of the door? I also plan to remove the door from the hinges and attempt to straighten the curve some what. The curve almost looks like it was intentionaly set by the previous owner.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Robert I can't say for certain but I believe it would be acceptable to use a CherryMax type rivet. Check with your A&P/IA

What I can tell you is that it is possible with fore thought and careful planning and setup to massage the hinges with a press. Yo can't bent them far without creasing the hinge but it doesn't take much to make a big difference.

I've done this with both of my doors. It takes at least two people. One to hold the door and the other to slowly operate the press.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Blind rivets are acceptable to repair the door hinge. This does NOT mean "pop" rivets.
BL
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Thanks to all the advice I repaired my door hinge rivet. But, not before entering into rivet hell. I figured, OK, I'll go out and get myself a blind rivet tool, buy some rivets, drill the old rivet out and replace it with a new one. That was before I discovered the infinite world of rivets - Q type, N Type, metal types, shank metal types, i.e, monel, aluminum, steel. If aluminum is it soft, med or hard alumnium. The there is "grip". By the time I completed the research necessary to do the job I could have written a thesis, and I am still just beginning to understand the world of rivets. I have a great appreciation for home builders.
HA

Post by HA »

quote- "I have a great appreciation for home builders."

or perhaps your local A&P mechanics, who went to school for that kind of stuff
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane