170 B Home at last

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Boiler Bill

170 B Home at last

Post by Boiler Bill »

Hello everyone, Just thought I would mention that I went to Kansas and picked up my 1952 170B and flew it home to Seattle Washington. It took aprox. 16 hours and used 1 1/2 quart of oil. Had a head wind most of the way. Weather couldnt have been better, had a perfect weather window. This plane was owned by Steve Johnson and the N number is N2386D.
Washed it for the first time today, Taxied it all over the airport for practice, cant fly it until I get 10hrs with a instructor for the tail wheel indorsment. It was such a nice day, man did I ever want to take off.
I need a pull handle for the passenger side so you can get in easier, if someone has a spare, I will buy it. This is my first plane so I thought I would brag a little.

Boiler Bill
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Sounds great Bill. So if it took 16 hours to get it home how is it you need 10 hours with an instructor?

As for the strap you may want to consider making one out of leather or some other suitable material till you find the correct one.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The "Assist Straps" are available from Cessna parts suppliers. Be sure to state the length.
BL
Boiler Bill

Tail Wheel

Post by Boiler Bill »

Hi Bruce, the trip home was with the previous owner who also is a instructor. He is able to sign my log book, and he did to credit my flying hours. However, that is not real training on landing and taking off much. We both did some landings but he took over in the bad areas ect. So in all respect to safty of me and others, I know that I need more time with a instructor in landing and taking off. It won't take long to feel comfortable with that, but I know the training is needed. Thank you for the ideas as to where to buy the staps also. take care you guys

Bill
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

You need to come on up to 76S and let Tom D. have a look.
Tom Downey A&P-IA