mag compass

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jetguy

mag compass

Post by jetguy »

This one should be easy. In an effort to bring my inst panel back to a more original configuration, I've decided to put a whiskey compass back in (right now it's got one of those round gizmos that sits atop the panel, and a cover over the old compass hole). I'm not concerned about any (loss of) accuracy issues because after all, that's why God created GPS. So, before I hit the instrument shops or go poking around ebay, anybody got the quick answer about (1) the original manufacturer and part number and (2) what's a ball park price for a good one? And if anyone has an adapter ring they're not using, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW, having just spent a premium ordering a new one from Preferred ( why do people throw away perfectly good airplane parts...argh!). Thanks fer the help...
Greg Anderson
'55 170B N4316B
trake

Post by trake »

The compass is an Airpath 2300 [unlighted], get it at Aircraft Spruce or Wag aero for about $130
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

O.K., Greg, go ahead and make my day :cry: ....What did you have to pay for a new adapter ring 8O ???? I have been looking for one myself and did not know such a part could be ordered from a supplier.
chuck
jetguy

Post by jetguy »

Chuck, better sit down for this one...$66.60 - and I even asked 'em for a discount! (they said no). I just ordered it today though, and I've never actually seen one, so we'll see. But the website (http://www.preferredairparts.com) shows 79 total - well, 78 now - in stock (PN 0411897-3). I've never used them before but you can find all kinds of odds 'n ends that you wouldn't think existed anymore. I even ordered a new (they stock used stuff too) glove box latch and clip - the fancy little ones used on the '54's thru '56's. Anyhoo, give 'em a try (their website can be frustrating...they don't show prices and you need to request a quote before ordering) and if you call them directly, Chris is the parts guru and he's real helpful. Good luck!
Greg Anderson
'55 170B N4316B
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

jetguy wrote:I've never used them before but you can find all kinds of odds 'n ends that you wouldn't think existed anymore. I even ordered a new (they stock used stuff too) glove box latch and clip - the fancy little ones used on the '54's thru '56's.
At Preferred, I just recently found the 5/16 hex head screws that hold the bottom of crankcase cover to the oil sump. I couldn't find them at Hill Aircraft or anywhere else I looked. They were new surplus, but new nevertheless.

I found my glove box latch/clip in a local hardware store when I lived in Picayune, MS. Evidently it is just a household cabinet latch. Other than being new and unbroken, it was absolutely identical to the one in the airplane, right down to the part number stamped on it. Around a dollar as I remember. Sometimes, even I get lucky!

Miles
Last edited by cessna170bdriver on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I have used Preferred Airparts in the past when rebuilding my c-145 and just ordered parts for a C-85. I can not say enough about this company. They are a pleasure to work with.

The deal in new surplus and used parts they've aquired. You must know a part number but if they have it you will get it at a decent price. I only wish they had everything I needed so I didn't have to deal with anyone else.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com