Flaky yoke!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Heflin

Flaky yoke!

Post by Heflin »

The paint on my yokes is coming off in a dandruff-like fashion. What can you do about it? Can you buff them off and repaint?

Thanks,
Rob
ISAIAH 40:31
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Rob

I have sucessfully restored the yokes on numerous planes by chipping off the old coating with a knife then beadblasting it clean. From there I use a high build epoxy primer to fill and fair it smooth. Then topcoat with a polyurethane or epoxy either of which is very durable. If you have an outfit that does powdercoating in your area take them the cleaned but not primered yokes and have them give you their opinions as to weather or not they can get a smooth finish for you. The powder coated yokes would be most durable and they offer a lot of colors. Good luck!
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The problem with powder coating them is that they are usually made of a metal that is too porous to coat well without flaws. I suggest the fill-and-paint solution. Imron works well and "Gull Grey" is the basic Cessna color that was used. Placing the Cessna logo decal in position when it's dry, then coating it with a clear-coat makes it appear original again.
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

Any ideas where to get the Cessna logo? I haven't seen a small one in any of the supply catalogs.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna. :wink:
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

gahorn wrote: Imron works well and "Gull Grey" is the basic Cessna color that was used.
True for the '53-'56 model years. '48-'52 were red (sort of a dusty rose color) - not sure what the actual name of the color is.
Doug
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I sent my yokes to a place in Oklahoma City for power coating.. I think it was Airborne Coatings. They have a web site. They did a good job. You can find decals and logos at Moody in Florida. Give me some time to find phone numbers and more info when I get home.
Curtis
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

I had my yokes powder coated by my company several monts ago. They look great! I had them use a textured powder coat as I did NOT want the smooth finish. With the slight texture it gives your some gripping power when your hands are sweaty :D

Dave
schefler

170A Control yoke declas

Post by schefler »

If someone has a black and white one that show the demensions, colr and outline, I could work with that to have graphix service make them into decal. Of course, I would have enough made to suppy the fleet
Any help would be greatly appreciated by me, my wife, 2 dogs and my cockatoo and did I say Me?
3958v

Post by 3958v »

A good sign shop can scan the logo on the back of the owners manual and reduce it slightly to the proper size and then print it in any color you want. Mine were silver and I belive that to be the original color for the brownish red yokes as I have a plane in very original condition. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Re: 170A Control yoke declas

Post by GAHorn »

schefler wrote:If someone has a black and white one that show the demensions, colr and outline, I could work with that to have graphix service make them into decal. Of course, I would have enough made to suppy the fleet
Any help would be greatly appreciated by me, my wife, 2 dogs and my cockatoo and did I say Me?
I've got a couple of original decals I could fax to you. They're too old to risk using directly. Last time I tried to use one of the old original I have, the water transfer simply tore them up. email or pm a fax number and I'll send them. George
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)