Help with tires

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

haberman

Help with tires

Post by haberman »

I have a 170a and would like to put 8.50 x 6 tires on. Where do I start with the paperwork? I am also trying to find a 180 gear. Kevin
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Kevin,
It's gonna require a field approval. I started to do the same thing awhile back, but went with 8.00x6 tires instead. Not a whole lot of difference, a little less weight and no field approval required.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
mit

Post by mit »

The first step is to contact your FSDO and get an inspector to work with you. You will have to put in a proposal.

I have been thinking about doing it but I don't know if it is worth the hassle any more? I should have done it 10 years ago!

Field approvals are all but a thing of the past.

8:00's are probably the way to go like Craig said.
Tim
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Kevin
There is an STC for the 180 gear.

The others are correct in going the easy way with the 8:00 tires UNLESS you want dual puck brakes. If so it's the 199-62 kit like for the 180 and tires up to 8:50 are approved.

Since I want to go to the dual pucks I started the field approval process early January by presenting a Standard Data Package (SDP) to my local field office as described in AC 43-210. It's definitely more involved than before but I believe it is still possible to get the field approval for this type of alteration. It takes much longer because the local office has to pass it on to the National office for them to review, comment, reject or approve. Time will tell. I'll still run the smaller tires but at least the plane will be ready to use the big ones plus I'll have great braking as I'm always flying it heavy it seems. I'll be posting here and sharing the paperwork when (if) the approval comes in. Cleveland isn't interested in adding the 170 to the approved model list so really someone needs to get an STC for these brakes to make it simple.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
haberman

Post by haberman »

Thanks for the help. So no paperwork required for 8.00 tires or is it a 337? I would have thought dual puck brakes could be installed because alaskan bushwheel tires are approved for the 170(with dual pucks). What do the Alaskan guys do?

Kevin Haberman
Waco Tx
49' 170A
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

haberman wrote:Thanks for the help. So no paperwork required for 8.00 tires or is it a 337? I would have thought dual puck brakes could be installed because alaskan bushwheel tires are approved for the 170(with dual pucks). What do the Alaskan guys do?

Kevin Haberman
Waco Tx
49' 170A
Kevin, if I'm not mistaken all that is required is a logbook entry and update W&B. 8.00 tires are listed on the original type certificate.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR