Bush STOL Kit -STC needed

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N170GA

Bush STOL Kit -STC needed

Post by N170GA »

I'm in the middle of my first annual on my C170A and uncovered a discrepency in the logbook entry for my STOL kit. The kit (Bush) was STC'd in 1974 by a Robert Williams of Udal, Kansas. The STC number was logged incorrectly, and I am unable to find the correct number. The FAA rep we talked to can't either. Does anyone have this STOL kit and/or copy of the associated STC? The plan is to submit a 337 along with the STC and enter a corrected log entry.

George, if there is a better forum for this inquiry feel free to move it. Also any suggestions on an easy way to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Naturally, I need to get right on this. It may take a while to iron this out.

Neil
N1277D

Re: Aircraft Records

Post by N1277D »

The FAA should have a copy of the STC in the records they keep for your airplane. They used to be on microfiche, but recently I heard they are providing a copy on CD.

I would check with the FAA guys in OKlahoma to make sure they don't have it before spending lots of time tracking this down, it could just been misplaced over the years from the piles of other paper required. I believe you can order your aircraft's records from the FAA's web page. They used to send you a bill, cost was minimal about $3.00 to $5.00.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

At the back of The 170 Book (4th edition,1999) there is a listing of STC's for the 170 series. I found 3 STOL mod STC's listed as being held by Bob or Barbara Williams,Box 431,213 North Clark; Udall KS67146 or Box 608;Udall KS 67146

SA995SW "Increase wing leading edge radius wing tip fairings and landing light lens.Reissued 4-27-84"

SA1371SW "Wing leading edge cuff,wing tips and upper surface flow fences. Ammended 4-14-83"

SA1474SW "Installation of "MASA" 1223000-7 and -* wing tips. Reissued 9-5-79"

SA1073CE "Installation of wing leading edge cuffs,Cessna dropped wing tips,stall fences and aileron gap seals. Reissued 4-24-79"

SA2851SW "Leading edge cuffs,stall fences,aileron gap seals,wing tips. Reissued 6-6-80"

Also a couple other STC's for flap gap seals and engine/prop conversion.
Also,there is an FAA site to research SC's: http://av-info.faa.gov/stc/

Williams is still around,but don't expect much help there. A friend of mine bought a Cessna 150/150 with a Bush engine conversion,the paperwork was goofed up so he ended up contacting Williams. Got nothing but the old runaround,along with some comments about that paperwork not being free.I've heard elsewhere that he's pretty flakey,so whatever ya do - don't send him any money.

Eric
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

As far as copies of the STC paperwork itself,you might contact Velvet at Assn HQ to see if she has on file a copy of the STC along with a copy of an approved 337.

Eric
mit

Re: Bush STOL Kit -STC needed

Post by mit »

N170GA wrote:I'm in the middle of my first annual on my C170A and uncovered a discrepency in the logbook entry for my STOL kit. The kit (Bush) was STC'd in 1974 by a Robert Williams of Udal, Kansas. The STC number was logged incorrectly, and I am unable to find the correct number. The FAA rep we talked to can't either. Does anyone have this STOL kit and/or copy of the associated STC? The plan is to submit a 337 along with the STC and enter a corrected log entry.

George, if there is a better forum for this inquiry feel free to move it. Also any suggestions on an easy way to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Naturally, I need to get right on this. It may take a while to iron this out.

Neil
Do you mean you are missing the 337?
Tim
N170GA

Got it!

Post by N170GA »

Thanks for all the info guys.
I was able to track down what I needed. I discovered the STOL kit called "MASA" was sold years ago to Avcon/Bush who now hold the STC. I was able to talk to them and get the paperwork I needed. They were very helpful :lol:
rsouviney

STC SA995SW

Post by rsouviney »

Neil, I am having the same problem you reported on the 170 site on my Cessna 180. I need a copy of the instructions and drawings for STC SA995SW to complete my logs, and have had no luck getting a response from Avcon (maybe I'm using the wrong number, could you send me your contact information?). Is this the same STC (MASA) that you were looking for? And if so, would you be willing to send me a copy for our records? I will be happy to pay for any expenses....thanx...randy
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

You will find that Bob or Barbara Williams,Box 431,213 North Clark; Udall KS67146 or Box 608;Udall KS 67146 are difficult to work with. If you can even contact them. The FAA has a file on them. Beware.
Dave
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180