IPC help

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

IPC help

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have the late-model "finger" style tailspring fuselage bracket on my ragwing. I have the ragwing IPC but naturally it doesn't have the later-model parts listed. I'm hoping someone can copy the illustration and list of part numbers for me out of their 170B IPC. If it's like the ragwing book, there's about a page and a half's worth of parts listed for that illustration-- I only need the ones directly associated with attaching the "bracket assembly-tailwheel mounting" (I believe it's p/n 0512154-1) to the fuselage, and the tailsprings to the bracket.
If yoyu can scan it & email it to me ,great, but I have a real slow computer and even slower dial-up server. What would be even better would be a xerox copy snail-mailed to me.I can PM my address to whoever can do this for me. Thanks,

Eric
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Eric,
The easiest would be if you or a buddy have a fax number. If you do PM the fax number, other wise PM your snail mail address and I will get the drawing to you.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
zero.one.victor

PM on the way to ya, John. Thanks.
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

The late model tailwheel bracket installation instructions on early serial# 170's are spelled out in Cessna service kit SK70A52-4. I have a copy of that service kit (courtesy of George Horn) that I can forward to you if that would help. If you would like it PM me your email address, or your regular address if you want it mailed.
Last edited by N2865C on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Eric,
Its in the hands of the US Postal Service.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
zero.one.victor

I had the tail jacked up off the ground the other day to service the t/w assembly. I verified what I had thought-- which is that I have a little bit of up-and-down play at the forward end of the tailspring assembly. The vertical bolt/nut that holds that appears to be tight. The spring set is kinda boxed in, can't see what's going on in there-- I need the IPC drawing to visualize just how that all bolts together. The earlier-model bracket uses a couple rubbers for spacers,as I recall from my 1948 IPC. If the later set-up is similar, I probably need to replace them. But I was wondering how you get all that stuff into place inside the boxed-in area , seems like the rubbers would get dislodged before you could get the thru-bolt installed to hold it all together. You can't hold them in place unlesss you unbolt the top cover of the boxed-in area.
Hard to describe coherently without the later IPC drawing & parts list in front of me.

Eric
auxtank

Post by auxtank »

Eric,

While you are examining your tailwheel bracket take a close look to see that the horizontal bulkhead, which stiffens both the bracket and the rear-most section of fuselage, is in place. Sorry, I'm not sure of the part number, and I don't have a "B" model IPC in front of me.

I, too, have a '48 model, equipped with the "newer” style tailwheel bracket.
Quite a few years back, high winds caused damage to the rudder stop, cracking it and snapping a rivet or two that attached the stop to the fuselage. This meant taking the tailfeathers off to accomplish the riveting of a new part.

After taking a look at the area in question through the rudder cable holes of a "B" model parked on the field, the mechanic/IA that was assisting me with the repair remarked that someone had fashioned a stiffener for that particular airplane.

I wrote Velvet for a copy of the Cessna service kit SK70A52-4 installation directions, mentioned earlier in this thread. Those directions showed that the installer of the "finger" style tailwheel bracket had left out one of the pieces––the horizontal bracket.

Luckily, Bird Dog Aviation carried the part. We were able to order one for a relatively reasonable price and installed it while replacing the rudder stop.

I've always wondered if mine was the only retrofitted or repaired C170 with this very important part overlooked.

Without the horizontal bulkhead, downward forces on the fuselage during landing were able to transfer and manifest as outward (spreading) forces on the last fuselage section and the attached tailwheel bracket.

The resulting flexing had caused intergranular corrosion to begin in the tailcone reinforcement angles, 0512119 and 0512119-1 (left and right). We replaced those at the same time.

You have no control over the quality of work previously accomplished, so take a close look and make sure EVERYTHING is right.

Good luck with finding and fixing the source of your "wiggle."

Gordon Sandy
N4002V
zero.one.victor

I just got back from a couple weeks away from home, and found the IPC copies from John and the service bulletin copies from JC in my stack of mail. Thanks, guys!
Gordon, looking at the stuff they sent me, it sounds like you're talking about p/n 0512126 "bracket-tailwheel mounting shear" as shown in the B model IPC sheets John sent me. It goes inside the tailcone where the tailwheel bracket mounts, same rivets as holds the top "finger" of the t/w bracket. I don't see it on the 1948 IPC drawing or in the service bulletin info JC sent me.
From the IPC exploded drawing, it looks like my problem is a bit too much room between the "channel-tailwheel spring retainer" p/n 0510000-31, and the "block-tailwheel spring retainer" p/n 0510000-35. This is allowing the forward end of the leaf spring pack to move up and down a bit. Or is this up-and-down play supposed to be there? If the fit between these two parts was good and tight, as to allow no play, it'd be a real bitch to slide the springs in, eh?
How do I get this play out, if it's not right? Loosen the block mounting bolts, tighten the tailwheel thru bolt to draw the block upwards,, then tighten the mounting block bolts again?

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Eric, look at IPC for the B model, Fig. 29, item 10 "Shim", PN 0510000-30, which should take up that excess room. It sits on top of the top spring, between that spring and the retainer. It looks a lot like the 0442116-1 "retainer" (without the edges turned up) or the 0442119-1 "pad" that used to sit under the springs in the earlier bracket installation. If you need, I can email you the IPC illustration Fig. 29. Unfortunately the Service Kit did not seem to call for this, or illustrate it... and that may be an error. (I just emailed you a WORD DOC of the subject page.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
steve grewing

Tailwheel

Post by steve grewing »

I finally read this thread in detail. My '48 has the later style tailwheel mounting adapter. It is missing the bracket inside the fuselage also. I now have PDF copies of the A and B model IPC's. Unfortunatelly I didn't have 'em before I assembled my plane. It is also missing the aft vertical row of rivets on the left side of the mount. I noted the missing rivets when I had it apart but decided against installing them. I am coming up on my first 100 hour inspection since putting the plane in the air last year. I may fabricate and install the internal bracket and missing rivets at that time. Does anyone know the thickness of the original bracket material? I would guess it is .032" or .040".

Steve