more on tires

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jetguy

more on tires

Post by jetguy »

Shopping around for the best price on new rubber, I ran across a link to, ironically, my local supplier's website...they've posted a lot of pretty useful info showing cutaway photos, brand comparison, etc. Thought I'd pass it on. http://www.sacskyranch.com/faqaircrafttire.htm
Greg Anderson
'55 170B N4316B
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Very good information, especially the tire pressure differences between 4 and 6 ply. There has been some threads here on inflation pressures and I think we've neglected to take the ply ratings into account. I've been running 32 in my 6ply Flight Custom lll's and I think I'll try them a little higher although the plane is a little sensitive to high tire pressures.

I decided a few years back I will buy nothing but the Flight Custom lll's because they just seem to last forever.

Dave
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Back when I first bought my airplane in 1982 (has it really been that long? 8O ), it came with a new set of the cheapest tires Mcreary makes, and that's what I replaced them with for several years. Then I noticed that folks were having good luck with the $80 Michelins, so I tried a pair. They were 4 times the cost, but checking my logbook, I found that I also got 4 times the number of landings out of them. Since then I've stayed away from cheap tires, because at the same cost per landing (about $0.25 in those days, as best as I remember) I don't have to change them as often. :)

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sacramento Sky Ranch is a good company and generally has reliable info. Not on this subject of tire pressure, however.
The tire pressure ratings posted on the sides of tires by the tire mfr is the tire pressure at which that particular tire achieves it's maximum strength/load-carrying capability.
The tire pressure recommended by the airframe mfr. takes into consideration the operating weight of the aircraft, the resultant loads upon the tire/gear/airframe, and the tread "footprint" at those weights.
Cessna recommends 24 psi for the mains on the 170, and that is applicable for those tires specified in the AFM. Increasing the tire ply rating above that specified for the 170 will result in a stiffer tire carcass, but will not require increased tire pressure. IMHO
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)