Later Gear (Lady legs) V Early Gear (straight)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Later Gear (Lady legs) V Early Gear (straight)

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jr.CubBuilder wrote:Bill one thing you might want to look at if you get to changing your main gear legs later on is that there are two different styles. The ones I've always heard refered to as the "lady legs" are the ones with the forward sweep to them. ....Chris
:?:

Have I missed something here.

I now the later Lady Legs are stiffer than the early original gear. The later gear also has a different shape down where the axle bolts on which makes them not interchangeable between sides. But I pretty sure the later gear doesn't move the wheels farther forward.

I'll do some investigation later in the mean time what do you all have to say about this?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce,
The below quoted information is from Tom Anderson's XP web site. I believe the Lady Legs are what Tom refers to as "The late 170B gear".

The early 170 gear
PN 0541114 applicable thru SN 25611is interchangeable R&L.
a hole is drilled through the center of the gear leg for the brake line clip, or dual dimples are used to secure either type of brake line clip.
both gear leading and trailing edges are symmetrical from the upper bend and tapering to the axle attach boss.
thickness is 5/8 but varies from .640 to .685
the gear comes straight out and down to the axle attach on a straight line, also referred to as wheels aft.
the weight is 29-30 lbs per leg.

The late 170B gear
PN 0541118-2 and 0541118-3 sn 25612 and on-2 is right and -3 is left
a dimple is used to support the brake line clip
the gear has a straight leading edge facing forward
the thickness is 11/16 but varies from .665 to .685
the inside dimension from the center of the upper bend to the narrow end is approx 34-1/2"
the narrowest point of the gear measured just above the axle attach boss is 1-1/2"
the gear comes straight out and down to the axle attach on a straight line, also referred to as wheels aft.
the weight is 29-30 lbs per leg.

Early Cessna 180 gear ( used on 170's )
PN 0741001-1, 0741001-2, 0741001-3, and 0741001-4
-1 and -3 are left and -2 and -4 are right
a dimple is used to support the brake line clip
the gear has a straight leading edge facing forward
the thickness is 11/16 but varies from .665 to .685
the inside dimension from the center of the upper bend to the narrow end is approx 36"
the narrowest point of the gear measured just above the axle attach boss is 1-7/8"
on the -1 and -2 the gear comes straight out and down to the axle attach on a straight line, also referred to as wheels aft.
on the -3 and -4 the gear comes out angled forward and down to the axle approx 2-3" as compared to the -1 &-2, also referred to as wheels forward.

the weight is 32-33 lbs per leg.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well there you go thanks John. So depending on what you want to accomplish you may or may not want to install the later 180 gear. They weigh more and they put more weight on the tail.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com