Ski Bracket I.D.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N419A

Ski Bracket I.D.

Post by N419A »

I will try posting this picture. Can anyone tell me if these are a cessna part or from one of the ski manufacturers. I could not find them in the IPC.

Thanks, Paul
N419A

Post by N419A »

Oh, well didn't work these brackets attach to the top of the gear leg and a re held on by the two bolt that hold in the shim/wedges and anouther strap that goes around the gear leg.
Later, Paul
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

Paul,

Here's your picture, but sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

P.S. To post your picture I first found it in the Gallery, then I right clicked on the photo and viewed it's properties, that's where I found the real URL to the photo and I copied that URL to this post.
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
N419A

Post by N419A »

Thanks, Corey. I am wandering what ski attach brackets folks are useing out there. I have the Atlee brackets (which I thnk are for 180's) and that is mostly what I see around Fairbanks.

Paul
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

Those are Landis brackets. They are out of Anchorage. I have them on my B with Landis 3000's. I'm in AK with 180 hp but still need the floatation. These brackets don't give as much leverage as the ones riveted to the firewall but they work and are STC'd.

Buck Buchanan
N419A

Post by N419A »

Thank that helps, I saw that they were on the landis drawing, but did not specificly say they were a landis part I think it listed a federal part as an alternative. Thanks again.
Paul
H. Mark Smith

ski brackets

Post by H. Mark Smith »

Hi Paul, I am pretty sure what you have are the old original Federal Ski brackets. I think Fluidyne Engineering bought out Federal many years ago and Wipaire bought out Fluidyne....

I've seen those brackets listed on ski installation dwgs. used on federal and fuidyne skis both.

I once saw what happend when an owner/ pilot and his son installed their skis. The son did not get the ski bracket under the heads of the 2
AN4 bolts that hold the MLG wedges in place... They took off and one of the ski brackets slid down the gear leg, the ski turned upside down!!!!
We called the pilot and asked what he was going to do,,, he said fly around a while and then crash!! Well it was March, the runway was real icy, he landed, the weight went on the upside down ski,the check cable broke and flew into the new hartzell prop and tore a chunk out of one blade but otherwise did not hurt the plane...
Most ski installers use the atlee dodge S.S. brackets on the upper firewall attach point....Mark
N419A

Post by N419A »

Thanks, ya I put on the Atlee bracket last year. If anyone is interested in these brackets give me a PM or email.
Paul