Flap question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rupertjl

Flap question

Post by rupertjl »

My left flap on my 170A can be pushed to full deflection with the flap handle set at zero in the cockpit. The right hand flap cannot. when I go to the first notch of flaps, I can push both to full delfection. Is this normal or do have something hanging up on the right flap, or something broke on the left flap? I was going to pull the panel on the top part of the wing to look in there but I thought I'd ask the board first since I'm at work and can't get to the plane till this evening!

thanks in advance,

Jud
dacker

Post by dacker »

The A model flaps have a little hook that is supposed to latch when the flaps are in the up position. Your's (as mine) is probably worn so that it does not latch. When working properly you can probably pull down on them and still be able to force the latch. If you can adjust it so that it works fine, but it is not a safety issue if you can't. This is the reason that most A model 170s put the flaps down when parked for a short period, otherwise the wind will cause the flaps to "flap". You will develop cracks in the flap if this is allowed to happen. You should have a set of the control locks that will fit between the aileron and flap to prevent this. You can order them from Sporty's, or make them yourself. They consist of two plastic discs with foam on one surface of each and a long thin bolt that goes through the center of each. Slip these over the control surfaces with the bolt fitting between the flap and aileron and tighten snug (the flap and aileron are both sandwiched between the two discs).
Hope this helps.
David
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

How come when I'm looking at 170's, 1 flap might be dropped an inch lower than the other side. In other words 1 side is flush with the roof of the fuselage and the other side is dropped down a little.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There's several reasons that can occur. (What're you doin' up so late, anyway?)
One reason is that a wing (or both) may have been adjusted up or down within the limits of the concentric bushings to cure a "heavy" wing. Another reason might be a flap that sits within it's tracks (B-models) differently due to track/roller free-play and gravity. (In flight, the flaps will lift up against their upper stops due to air pressure. Just because flaps are identical or not, on the ground do not make them so inflight.)
Or,...if you're talking about my airplane...it's due to them being re-skinned by the previous owner and falling victim to a sloppy jig/workmanship. I plan to correct that at the first opportunity.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

:lol: Now I purposefully steered away from mentioning 146YS! That's too funny, cause I did find it and promply pointed it out to Randal!
What kind of Maintenance Cooridinator is this? :D
Wish my mechanic hadn't of pointed that out on mine during annual.
Now I can't help but notice everyone's flaps!
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Hey George,
How did you win best original 170B with flaps like that? :P John, hold off on the Plaque till we get this sorted out. Or at least till George gets those corrected:lol:
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Most people don't notice unless it's pointed out. It's a curious thing to me. Apparently it's due to an incorrect jig. Both flaps have exactly the same "washout" from left to right.
It's also possible that no jig was used at all and perhaps they were reskinned on a tabletop, and as the riveting proceeded from one end to the other, the flaps took on a slow "set". But the most curious thing about it is that both flaps have an almost unnoticeable "wave" in their trailing edge at exactly the same location, which is about 10" from their starboard ends. This makes me think a jig was indeed used, and that the defect is a result of an inaccurate jig.
Cessna will happily sell me two new flaps for $2400 each, but I fear their new stuff will have the "mill-marks" that are so typical in these days of all-painted airplanes. I doubt they'd polish out well without damage. I'll probably just send these off to have them reskinned someday. (For those curious, the left flap meets the wing root perfectly. The right flap meets the wing root about an inch low. Meanwhile the airplane is rigged such that the left flap's outboard end meets the aileron an inch low, while the right flap meets the aileron perfectly. This can only be so because the ailerons were rigged to match the wingtip fairings perfectly (also incorrect, but the only way to rig the airplane in light of the flap error.) BTW, both wings are nuetral as regards the concentric bushings. This affirms the error to be in the flap rebuild, to my thinking.
The result is an airplane that flies hands-off perfectly straight, because both flaps are identically incorrect and both wings are rigged identically. It's one of those things that aren't noticeable until it's noticed...then it's a first-class nagging irritation. (I noticed it during my pre-purchase/annual inspection and adjusted my offer accordingly. Indopilot, I didn't judge the fleet, so don't blame me if the rest of you guys have more serious errors. :lol: It won awards at both Oshkosh & Sun N Fun by the previous-owner/restorer that way as well.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
Does your airplane have "concentric" or "eccentric" bushings at the rear spar carry through?
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm too eccentric to reliably say. Perhaps you'd prefer I post a picture for you? :lol:
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

I once swapped wings on a 185 that had the Lt wing badly jigged when it was repaired. The aileron was about 2.5 inchs misaligned with the wing tip when the flap and aileron were aligned. I ended up splitting the difference when I rigged the Robertson. The Good Lord definately had a hand in it, due to no skill on my part it flew hands off in cruise as well as thru all four flap settings first time out. 8O
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
flyguy

NOTICE THE UN NOTICE

Post by flyguy »

It's one of those things that aren't noticeable until it's noticed..
FER ME IDA PEFER " IT IS UN=NOTICEABLE LESSEN ITS BIN NOTICED". THATA WAY NOBODY KIN NOTICE IT LESSEN THEYS A UN=NOTICEABLE EXPERYT!

BYDAWAY THEM THAR LIL BITTY BEAD STRIPS RIVITED IN URE TRALIN EGE ARE PROBLLY ILL EAGLE TOO :twisted:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Re: NOTICE THE UN NOTICE

Post by GAHorn »

flyguy wrote:
FER ME IDA PEFER " IT IS UN=NOTICEABLE LESSEN ITS BIN NOTICED". THATA WAY NOBODY KIN NOTICE IT LESSEN THEYS A UN=NOTICEABLE EXPERYT!

BYDAWAY THEM THAR LIL BITTY BEAD STRIPS RIVITED IN URE TRALIN EGE ARE PROBLLY ILL EAGLE TOO :twisted:
Nope. They're legal. (field approval)
cessna170bdriver

Re: NOTICE THE UN NOTICE

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:
flyguy wrote:

Nope. They're legal. (field approval)
They aren't original, but they do enhance safety; they cut down on the number of diamond-shaped scars on your forehead!! :lol:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne