Door hinge

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

Door hinge

Post by Dave Clark »

There is a RH door hinge on an auction site that I can't mention here but it is item# (edited by the ebay-nazi) that is part# 0511238-2 and presented to fit 170's S/N 26996 and higher.

My IPC shows part# 0511106-15 or maybe -19 with no reference to a hinge part# change on the 170. The auction part is pretty much a 90 degree hinge line where all the 170 hinges I've seen have a bit of a slant. I believe at some point in time Cessna went to this hinge as on the auction. I always thought it was in the early 172's. Were there some "late" 170's that used this hinge? If so could an earlier door be converted to this by changing all the hinges? The 170 hinges are pretty hard to find as we all know.

Lastly I'd hate to see one of our people pay big bucks for a hinge that won't work so beware :!:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dave can't ad anything as to whether this is the correct hinge even with a look at the picture.

But to confirm the part numbers I did a search for both your part # and the one given at the auction and they appear to be 2 seperate parts. The interesting thing is that the hinge with your part number IS available from Hill Cessna (cessnaparts.com) for about $180.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This is a perfect example of why we do NOT allow messages referencing Ebay Auction items for sale. (It's not the word "Ebay" that's banned. It's the referfence to the auction. No one is fooled by the omission of the word, so...what was the point?)
Any of our members who may be watching this item and feeling the price is advantageous and perhaps hoping to purchase it....was just offended by the message. It's like I'm on a fishing trip and having found a good fishing hole, someone broadcasting on a bull-horn "HEY! George is catching a bunch of fish over there! Hurry up everyone! Let's go over where George is!"

Next,... anyone who wishes to advertise here at our forums is WELCOME to do so AS LONG AS THEY ARE A MEMBER! This message just defeated the privileges of all our members who have paid their dues, and it has given FREE ADVERTISING to a TOTAL STRANGER,...who, as far as we know, is not even vetted as being scrupulous. The interest generated by this message in that auction, now serves against the interests of all our TIC170A members and our Assn.
Not the least, but yet another problem with giving such attention to the auction, is the very problem being discussed. The part is suspicious by it's lack of pedigree, documentation, and it's lack of history. While this particular part even appears to have a Cessna picking tag on it, the description is not adequate, probably not accurate, and any of our members who have taken an interest in it as the result of this message, run the risk of purchasing a possibly bogus, incorrect, inferior, or improper part.
To top matters off,... I cannot tell you the number of times members have contacted me with the great news that they've found a used/serviceable "as removed" dooma-flitchy-flop on Ebay for only $120 plus shipping! ... and then their entire day is ruined to find that they are available NEW for $75!
What possible good has this message served? 1)The answer sought has not been found. 2)TIC170A members are not well served. 3)And a total stranger, not a friend of TIC170A has rec'd free advertising here at the expense of TIC170A members.

The message-poster's purpose would have been JUST as well served, if he'd simply asked the question: "Hey, someone is offering to sell me a door hinge he claims is Part Number such and such. Will Part Number such and such fit my B-model 170?)

Everyone: Do NOT make references to specific online auctions here. PLEASE!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

George I agree with your message and forum rule.

However for many of us it is a bitter pill to swallow. In our zest to see 170s flown and preserved when finding what might be the perfect 170 part listed we just want to shout it out so that maybe one of our friends here at the forum might be able to take advantage of it.

I'm sure that Dave was trying to live up to the spirit of the rule not realizing that such specific mention would direct attention and exposure to the item.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, Dave's a great guy and a dedicated TIC170A member. I regret not having a better avenue to illustrate the problem than to simply discuss how THIS thread violates the interests of us all. My purpose is not to publicly castigate a friend and fellow member. My purpose is to bring awareness of the issue to bear directly on the problem. I delete such messages at least monthly, usually quickly after they are posted. The problem with this message was that Bruce had already responded to it, and deletion would have "trod" upon Bruce's good-faith response and effort to assist. It seemed best to simply take the opportunity to provide an illustration why this rule exists.
Finding a great deal on a rare part is exciting. And if WE don't need the part, it'd certainy be nice if one of our fellow members could use it. Ahhhh. If only we knew which member needed it. Or.... the possibility strongly exists that a person needful of that part ...is already actively searching for it.... and certainly would not appreciate someone yelling out on the internet to the entire Cessna 170 world....."Hey! George is catching a fish!"
A really rare part, I personally once found, at an incredible price.... I simply bought it! Less than 6 months later, another member was desperate for one. He got it cheap, and the purpose was served. (And I got a Grimes torpedo light in exchange.) :wink:
Dave, I hope I did not tramp all over your feelings. I apologize if I did, and I appreciate your understanding in letting me use your message for a guinea pig in my effort to stamp out this problem.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

All I wanted to do was to keep one of our own from making a mistake buying this item. I see now that to do that on this forum could well get out of hand.

I also was curious (and still am) as to the possibility of this hinge being used on late 170's. For that I should have started a new thread without reference to the auction.

My Bad :oops: I was, after all, one of those who had lost a good deal on ebay due to it being posted here and in fact complained to George at that time. I guess these circumstances are not enough to bend the rules.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave we understand.

I have bought what I believe to be good aircraft parts at fair prices from ebay but you really have to be careful and know what your looking for.

There have been and might be right now parts listed on ebay supposedly for the 170 and Cub that I've looked at and researched part numbers and found discrepancies between what they actually are and what the description says they are.

In those cases where I was sure the description was wrong I have sent a question to the buyer and called them on it. These questions are posted at the bottom of the listing if there are any and the sellers response.

It's about the best we can do to warn people.