Cleveland Brakes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N170CT

Cleveland Brakes

Post by N170CT »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Am attempting to install Cleveland Wheels and Brakes on a '56 170B.

Situation: Wheels available are Cleveland P/N 40-113, Calipers are double puck P/N 30-52N.
Question: What P/N Brake Disc works with this combo?? Parker Hannifin refuses to provide a suggestion other changing the wheels to 40-75 which I am reluctant to do. They claim the proper (thicker) disc has a different bolt pattern than the 40-113 wheel, YET I have been told the single puck and double puck calipers are interchangeable. And I am using small tires so clearance should not be an issue.

ANY comments, ideas, suggestions from our learned brethen???
chuck
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Have a lash at this:

http://www.parker.com/ag/wbd/Cleveland/pdf/wb02b.pdf

I have the 40-75s with early C-180 brake torque plates, double-
puck brakes and a 1/4 inch spacer for the brake discs (to allow for
larger 850 tires). Also had to get longer wheel halve bolts.

Can you beg/borrow a 40-75 wheel? The link above says the
40-113 wheel is for a Beech application. If they are dimensionally
the same, and you are going the field approval route (as opposed
to trying to strictly conform to STC SA13GL), I don't see how it
would make much difference...???
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

1. Don't ask Parker Hannafin anything. They got burned so bad on the dry vacuum pumps that they are non commital on almost everything. For example, when I asked about spacers for the brake rotors when installing 800 tires, all they would tell me was that Maule used 800 tires. I called Maule and found that they used fat washers to make their spacers.
2. Let us all know if you manage to get a field approval if you go that route.
3. My suggestion FTIW, Install and say nothing to anyone and enjoy.
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have the 199-62 double-puck kit (for 180's) on mine. 40-75D wheel,164-36 rotor,30-52 caliper, and according to the catalog data 75-15 torque plate.
I don't know how much money you're saving, but it would probably be easier (and maybe not too much more money) to just buy a 199-62 double-puck kit, and sell off your old wheels & brakes to recoup some of your costs. You'd have the right wheel for the right disc for the right torque plate, and I'm sure it'd be easier to get a field approval for a "199-62 kit" than for a mish-mash of part numbers, even if they went together just fine.
A friend was having trouble with a mish-mash assembly on his 180 with the 850 tires rubbing the calipers, he ended up just buying a whole new kit & selling his old stuff off. Bela. is JT looking for any more wheels? :roll:
Preferred Airparts has good prices on Cleveland components, maybe on the kits too.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

zero.one.victor wrote:I have the 199-62 double-puck kit (for 180's) on mine. 40-75D wheel,164-36 rotor,30-52 caliper, and according to the catalog data 75-15 torque plate.
I don't know how much money you're saving, but it would probably be easier (and maybe not too much more money) to just buy a 199-62 double-puck kit, and sell off your old wheels & brakes to recoup some of your costs. You'd have the right wheel for the right disc for the right torque plate, and I'm sure it'd be easier to get a field approval for a "199-62 kit" than for a mish-mash of part numbers, even if they went together just fine.
A friend was having trouble with a mish-mash assembly on his 180 with the 850 tires rubbing the calipers, he ended up just buying a whole new kit & selling his old stuff off. Bela. is JT looking for any more wheels? :roll:
Preferred Airparts has good prices on Cleveland components, maybe on the kits too.

Eric
We've got more wheels and brakes than we know what to
do with. Been buying them * when the price has
been right, and a couple of guys with money to burn bought
brand new kits when there was little to nothing wrong with
the old stuff on their airplanes.

I think if you shop carefully and you know what you're looking
for, you can buy all the stuff for 1/2 (or less) than new.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Bela,

Allow me to explore this a little with you (and anyone else who can add to this thread). One reason Parker was not endorsing the combination of 113 wheels and 52N calipers is because the "proper brake disc is 0.140" thicker and had a different bolt pattern. Now, if some among us are adding spacers to reposition the brake disc away from the large tires...just how critical is the brake disc thickness to the installation and function of the brakes????? Or am I completely misreading :oops: the info from our members?? Any comments welcome.

chuck
David Sbur

Post by David Sbur »

On brake disc thickness, the Parker website has a ditty on specifications, etc. I recently had a brake rattle and sound off and found that the torque plate was bent badly. Reason? Discs were woefully under spec and the piston went too far out. It didn't stick in the out position fortunately. Got new discs, checked and rebuilt the units, life is good again. Was a bit perturbed that the factory new specs and limits specs to disc thickness wasn't a whole helluva lot. Often wondered if maybe the RAPCO discs are thicker.

Cessna 140, 30-63 units on 40-97 wheels.

http://www.parker.com/ag/wbd/cleveland/pdf/Wbtech.PDF for a general maintenance manual download PDF