rigging of control services

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lynnem

rigging of control services

Post by lynnem »

Thanks everyone for the information you sent me regarding my "gear legs" question I posted earlier this year. It's appreciated.

After a lengthy rebuild, my 1954 170B is reassembled and painted and I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

I am currently working on the rigging of all control services and have been referring to both the Cessna 100 series manual and my owners manual for information. The problem is that my plane preceeds a lot of the information for 170s in the 100 series manual so, for some things, I've been bouncing between information for the 172 and 180.

I would like to confirm "travel" details, cable tensions, etc. Does anyone have a source, other than what is in the two books that I have, to check these details?

Thanks

Pat Mitchell.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Owner's Manual has those specifications for your airplane. I'll email the rigging instructions to you when I return home from this trip (if I can remember. Remind me in a couple of days. Memory is a fading thing.... :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dacker

Post by dacker »

This subject reminds me. I found a neat and cheap little gadget for checking the horizontal control deflections at Home Depot. It is an angle measure that you can just set atop the surface and measure the deflection. It cost about ten bucks and is handy around the hangar. It will not work on the vertical surfaces though (i.e. the rudder).
David
Metal Master

Re: rigging of control services

Post by Metal Master »

I would like to confirm "travel" details, cable tensions, etc. Does anyone have a source, other than what is in the two books that I have, to check these details?

Thanks

Pat Mitchell.[/quote]

The travels are on the type certificate data sheet. Which can be accessed on the FAA web sight at http://www.faa.gov click on aircraft. Then select type certificate data sheets. Select manufacturer and then select your model of aircraft.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!