REPAINT/REBUILD ADVICE

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave, let's go ahead and post the shop's name, location, and contact info. OK? There's no reason folks can't make up their own minds about the place.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

thammer wrote:
AR Dave wrote:On the flight home I had to hold the yoke forward, with the trim rolled all the way forward. Today I found that the trim rod had been adjusted to nuetral with the trim wheel full forward. In other words it would go from nuetral to way up, but no downward trim. I had to reach up in the hole and tighten the nuts because they were loose with no threads showing, but it's good now.
No nav lights were working. So I replaced the broken bulb on the tail. And pulled the right nav light off to rehook the ground wire that had been left off. I had to scrape the socket because there was a lot of overspray keeping the bulb from contact. But it's working again. Guess tomorrow I'll go hook the ground up on the left side. The strobe isn't working over there either, so it probably wasn't plugged back into the power source. I've been scraping off the grease certs that were painted over. Today I realized that there is no paint behind the door hinge, so when the door is opened it looks bad.
I ran into a fellar today that said when he took his plane back for a silver dollar size blemish on the cowling, Don Gray said, it's not our fault and walked away. Said he wouldn't even listen! I also found out that the cost of the job is consistently $2000 more than the bid. Remember those windows that I just had polished, I'm having the new scratches taken out this weekend. Belt buckles on the front corners of windshield and I guess they just layed my bubble window doors on the floor, cause the outer curve of the bubble is all scratched. That other guy had to have his windows redone after Gray's painted his plane also.
Just typical stuff you'd expect from a fresh paint job. But we'll get it all fixed back up!
I wouldn't expect that. I'd expect him to fix all those things to my satisfaction at his cost. That's just plain crappy work and disregard for his customers. Why is he still in business? This guy goes on my list of places not to touch with a ten foot pole.
Man, Ditto on that one! You were not given an airworthy aircraft. This guy should be fixing all this at this cost, or better yet, should never had let it leave his business in that condition. He obviously does not care about his reputation. Sorry Dave, but this is NOT "typical stuff you'd expect from a fresh paint job".
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yes, I was being sarcastic about typical stuff.

Gray's Aircraft Refinishing
Ozark, Franklin County Airport
P.O. Box 596 Ozark, AR 72949
1-800-322-GRAY 479-667-3359
thammer

Post by thammer »

AR Dave wrote:Yes, I was being sarcastic about typical stuff.

Sorry about that, you were too subtle for me and my sarcasm detector was malfunctioning due to the shock of it all. 8O

tye
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

AR Dave wrote:Yes, I was being sarcastic about typical stuff.

Tye and I must be on the same wavelength today. Sorry Dave. :oops:
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

PS - Gray's Aircraft Refinishing, has just listed his business For Sale, $750,000. Also I've kept a couple of folks from going there in the last few weeks. Guess I ran him out of business! 8)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dave that is a really cool avator. Had to look at it close to realize what it was.

So the guy's packing it in. Don't mess with us 170 folk. To bad you paid him.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Dave,
Your Avitar is it from the Petit Jean Camp Grounds? If it is I missed it, no surprise there given the little amount of time I was able to spend. Even for only a couple of hours on Sunday I am glad I made the trip.
Johneb
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Gray's Aircraft Refinishing, has just listed his business For Sale, $750,000. Also I've kept a couple of folks from going there in the last few weeks. Guess I ran him out of business!
Dave, if you ever get to thinking about this fellow and his family loosing their livelyhood, just remember you did not run him out of business he did that all by himself.
Johneb
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Trust me, that painter's family isn't in a financial struggle.
John, I do wish everyone could have seen you and your plane! And that you could have seen that parking lot full of 170'.. The refrigerator in front of the shower house was full of cold drinks.
Bruce, I wish I had the ability to sharpen pics like you. The refrigerator was the only thing that I could get to look good. And I wanted Joe to see how we roughed it this year - :lol:
Looks like that's a full coffee pot on Sunday morning!
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

OH! It looked more like a table with paint cans on it sitting next to a fridg full of beer! Thought you might have been handing out paint brushes Dave there on the mountain and saying "Get you a beer, and let's repaint this airplane!" :lol: I've been carrying around my new tent poles - THANKS Scott and Ginger - and can't see well all the time, they get in the way of some things, but they sure are nice ones. Figure if I keep them with me I will have them when I need them. Gray might be down here in Dallas, saw a guy standing next to LBJ with a can and a sign that looked like it said "Will Paint Airplanes for Vittles!".
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AR Dave wrote:PS - Gray's Aircraft Refinishing, has just listed his business For Sale, $750,000. Also I've kept a couple of folks from going there in the last few weeks. Guess I ran him out of business! 8)
Guess that answers the questions as to why he was so obstinate and unwilling to satisfy a customer (since he probably already knew he'd never need your business again) and as to whether or not he would honor his "warranty". :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dave I think your avator is a think of beauty. Kind of like a Norman Rockwell painting. You spooled it by telling us what was in the fridge. To some of us it is full of soda, others beer. For those of us lucky enough to be able to make it to Petit Jean it is recognizable and brings back great memories. For those not able to make it like Joe it is up to their imagination. I do like Joe's imagination. In fact I can see a whole new contest starting here. Guess what the avator is?

As for the quality and clarity of an avator there is really no trick. It is real difficult to show any picture with a lot of detail in such a small space so I'd avoid them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Well actually it wasn't FULL of cold drinks! Sorry for saying that off the cuff. The lower shelf or two had cold drinks and all the upper shelves had other things which Scott, Ginger, and I, helped ourselves to Sun night. My Goodness we had a party! :lol: Maybe that's why the Lightning Bugs showed up?