Window stop removal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jr.CubBuilder

Window stop removal

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Summer is coming and besides wanting to open the window for air I also would like to open the windows for taking pictures. My 52B has the lever style latches that will hole the window part way open. I'm looking at the possibility of replacing that latch with something like the latch here

http://www.niagaraairparts.com/

so I could open the window and let it fly up against the wing.

These are direct replacement parts, but not origonal equip. has anybody else done this? If so did you encounter any problems?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Those window latches are incorrectly "approved" for 170's. That type of latch was never original to the 170 series, as we all know because the 170 had the "alligator" style window latch. Ron Newburg at Niagra Air Parts has been notified.
I don't see why it can't be installed as a minor alteration however, as the airplane is approved for flight with the window open, and failure of the latch does not affect safety of flight. (FAR 1.1)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
kloz

Post by kloz »

This post is just for information. Window latches.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 3837640AWW
Carl
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

You might consider replacing the hinge pin with a clevis pin. Pull the pin, the latch separates, and the window just floats under the wing. Great for photos. I attached a piece of string to the top part of the latch so I could just pull the window closed and wrap the string around the lower latch until I landed. It's easier than replacing the pin in flight.
Disclaimer!!! I have not tried this is my 170 yet, but it worked great in my 120 (same latch).
jc
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I like the clevis idea, I think I'll just try that.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Naaaaww! Too Simple!!! (I'm working on a condemnation paragraph complete with photos of a fiery crash.) :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

George,
Be sure and mention the use of non-approved string in your condemnation. 8O What can N2865C be thinking?? :? I'll bet my 1.5 cents the string will not meet FAA flammability requirements much less the TCDS g loads in the Utility category. :roll: I can just read the NTSB report summary now: "Gorgeous Cessna 170 impacted terrain out of control and inverted in a fiery crash while PIC fought valiantly to close window after string broke." If you need any other help with that condemnation paragraph, just let me know. :lol:
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Wow, $145 for a Niagra aircraft latch & $13 for a VW latch that looks like about the same thing. Now there's a good illustration of one of the things that's wrong with general aviation.
One good feature of the stock window latches is being able to taxi with the window partway open without having to hold it open with your arm, or having to taxi with the door open.
I have done the hitch-pin/remove in flight thing in our rare hot weather. Good for photo ops, but the wind blowing into the airplane bothers me unless I keep it down to 90 or so. Sure nice to cruise the beaches on bikini patrol with my arm hanging out the window though.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The mounting is a bit different between the Niagara and the VW, but $145 for an automotive latch does make the Univair PMA'd latch more att....er... less unattractive. :?