Weight and Balance

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Walker

Post by Walker »

:?:
Last edited by Walker on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Mr. Walker,
You are so right. With the number of fasteners we are dealing with, one cannot expect to save much more than 2 or 3 pounds max. It is not so much the number of fasteners, but more the attention to detail. There are many "Improved" materials out there now which may (Please note the MAY) be substituted for the old materials used when our favorite aircraft was built. One example which I plan to install next is the Garmin SL40 com system which weighs less than half the KX170B it will replace plus the SL40 includes a built-in intercom which will allow removal of the existing intercom. Recently installed an AT155 transponder which weighs less than the AT50 and was a simple slide in. Also swapped the Bendix mags for Slicks which are lighter and simpler. Consider the tires: a 4 ply tire which is allowed is lighter (and more expensive) than the more common 6 ply tires. Worse yet, the old AN type gyro installed on many 170s is much heavier than the newer gyros, but you gotta give up on originality. Same may be said for installing an alternator....better output, more reliable and lighter in weight. And it appears the Odssey battery will be a jewel.
On the other side of the coin..Do we really need to add a STOL kit?? In my operations the gains will not justify the added weight/cost. I could go on, but everybody is bored by now so I will sign off.
And before Joe jumps all over me :lol: , I worked as a Weight & Balance engineer, specializing in weight reduction, at the Big B airplane factory for ten years and I ain't selling nothing. Just my 1.5 cents worth.
Walker

Post by Walker »

:?:
Last edited by Walker on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

N170CT wrote:Mr. Walker,
And before Joe jumps all over me :lol: , I worked as a Weight & Balance engineer, specializing in weight reduction, at the Big B airplane factory for ten years and I ain't selling nothing. Just my 1.5 cents worth.
HEY, I resemble That! :lol:

Need to ask a BIG favor N170CT. Some of the ladies that work in this building could make good use of a Weight & Balance engineer, specializing in weight reduction. Some of them on the floors above are 3 & 4 hundred pounders, maybe more! Could I give them your number?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Some of them on the floors above are 3 & 4 hundred pounders, maybe more!
I thought everything in Texas was supposed to be big.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)