STOL landings and Visiting Cordova, AK

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

28Charlie

STOL landings and Visiting Cordova, AK

Post by 28Charlie »

Having just installed the Sportsman this spring, I'm experiencing the same slow speed float. I find three pointers way easier at this point. Wish I had listened to Oron Hudson and saved the money for gas instead of the stol right now, Fuel is $3.75 in Palmer and the dealer said it will likely go to $4 in a couple of weeks.
Charle Roseberry? I met Liza Lobe last week, and she said to contact you if I head down to Cordova. I'm looking at doing the over the top route, Tazlina Glacier, Nelchina Glacier. I flew in a cub from the Knik Glacier, Mt Marcus Baker area once to Valdez. Have you gone that way? Would like to try the McCarthy, Bagely Icefield route to Cape Yakataga as well. Any issues with the Muni airport I should know? How much is gas? Chuck
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Chuck, I used to have a camp at the headwaters of the Hallet River, just off the Tazlina. In fact, that's a picture of my plane, sitting in camp, to the left of this post. Every now and then I'd leave camp and zip right over the top and down to Valdez for a pizza. It's about 20 miles from the top of the Tazlina to the Valdez airport. Just fly up the Tazlina, make that little S and go down the Valdez Glacier to the Airport. If need be you can land on these glaciers. The Marcus Baker route is a lot longer trip, maybe 60 miles from the top of Marcus Baker. And you've got real problems if you have a forced landing.
The Valdez fly-in is April 29 & 30?

That $3.75 is an improvement from past years, Lower 48 prices vs Palmer prices.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hmmmmn. Lesssseee now..... $100 hamburger is now $1000,...and the pizza is..... :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Current fuel price in Cordova is $3.80. ( Cordova Air Service in town ) But it can change whenever Cordova Air refills their tank, depending on their cost. Give me a holler if you get over here, I'm in the book, and anyone local around either airport can point you in the right direction. I'm usually out at the 13 Mi airport ( Mudhole Smith ) 4 days a week but odd hours. Watch the WX it can change quite rapidly. As spring developes and commercial fishing gets close, projects tend to keep me jumping.
28Charlie

Post by 28Charlie »

Thanks, I'll do that. Wish I could have flown over last week with all that fantastic spring sunshine. I'll keep my wheel skis on for another couple of weeks anyways.
Dave, did you know old Gene Needles? Guided in that area and retired to Arkansa.
Chuck
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I've heard that name before, but didn't know him. I think I took over the same camp. I got it from Tom Hundley, who took over from someone (I'm thinking Gene). Come to think of it, I think Tom married the Guide's daughter. I'd better make some phone calls. Let me know if you ever want to land there, I'll point it out. You'll find Meekin going in and out of there in his cub these days.

Gahorn, probably add another 0 = $10,000.