Inadequate Vacuum

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

blueldr wrote:So put the big venturi on your airplane and forget it. If anyone ever says anything, plead ignorance. It was always that way.
Who in hell is going to check it anyway? If some eager IA squaks
it, dump him and find a more reasonable guy. There are a good many well qualified , reasonable IAs out there. No one working for the FUZZ is going to know the difference and if they do , they're probably from the old school and are themselves reasonable. This does not seem to me to be an item over which sleep should be lost.
You hit the nail on the head. Most people don't even know what "that thing" is on the side of the plane anyway. I'm always getting questions about what it is...
Doug
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

gahorn wrote:Actually...you got me there, Bruce. I did not associate the "super" venturis description with the non-approved item. I'd forgotten they had no approval for aircraft use. Thanks for the reminder.

Not really trying to get you, just trying to keep things consistent George. But my stance was and is the same as blueldr's take on the issue.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

On the personal/private level...I also agree....it's a simple matter to add larger venturis. Of course, my "official" function at TIC170A is to give the "official" answer. That's what people want to know...and that's why they ask.
As for what a person actually does with their personally-owned airplane....hey...it's THEIR property and it's THEIR decision how to address the issue and how much liability they're willing to take on, and how much lost value they are willing to accept should they ever decide to sell the airplane.
On the other hand...while some folks get angry with me for offering the "officially correct" answer or suggestion.....others would get just as angry (or even more so) should I offer the "incorrect" answer....and later on, ..having followed that incorrect answer,..they find themselves violated by the FAA or they find themselves having lost aircraft value ...simply because they did what I "blessed." (Either way, I'm the bad guy.)
So I feel the best thing/advice for me to offer (subsequent to a question) is to directly, honestly, legally, and correctly...give the absolutely MOST legal/correct answer I can...and then let them sort it out for themselves. (What ELSE would any of you have me do?) :?
(If you asked the question because you didn't know the correct answer....I think you deserve the most correct answer I can obtain....regardless of how "damned if I do...damned if I don't" that answer may be.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

That was a good post George, you are kind of in a Catch 22 on many of these things, (legal vs. practical). I now understand why you have to adopt the "hard line of legality" and I really can't find fault with your reason for doing so. As you say we out here can then sort it out ourselves as to what we really want to do when faced with choices like this venturi issue.

Bruce
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

What the FAA says about it is fact. What you might do and what might work are opinions, some of them excellent. But even good opinions without the facts aren't worth much. I'm with George here: facts first, then opinions! 8)

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift