Bracket and Brakes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The document of authority is the Type Certificate Design Sheet (TCDS) which specifies the flight control movements. Your question reminds me of the one about torque...."if a little torque is good....then why don't we just give it a LOT of torque?". :wink:
To deliberately increase control deflections will affect controllability and airframe stresses. Remember that little thing about manuevering speed (Va) and how it relates to full control movement? Whenever one can, it's always best to follow the mfr's approved specifications.
Additionally, the rudder may contact the elevator skins if design deflections are exceeded. Try holding your rudder fully to one side and then move the elevator full up/full down and you'll see the variation that occurs in distance between the two surfaces. I've observed several airplanes whose rudders will "bang" the elevator if the elevator is in the neutral position. It's concievable the rudder could interfere with full elevator operation. (And it's hard on the rudder and the elevator both.)
By the way, your observation re: the differences available between left/right may be only your particular airframe due to previous repair schemes, etc. That is not the standard situation on the fleet.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
philnino

Rudder Rigging

Post by philnino »

I originally found that my rudder had only one stop and realized later when comparing the IPC to my rudder hinge that a previous repair had apparently ground off the stop and bent the hinge back into position to cover a crack. 8O This went unnoticed for years as the detail spent covering up the damage was more work than replacing the hinge. :evil: So I suggest you (c170b53) check your hinge a little closer as I do not think our 2 airplanes were the only ones to come from the factory with missing stops.
PS mine was the right rudder stop.