170A vs. 170B (short field info)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

140pilot, the "P Ponk gear" is not gear legs, it is a mod to beef up the landing gear's attachment to the fuselage. If you buy a 53 or earlier 170 & find the gear too soft, it is possible to install later model 170 gear ("lady legs"), or even 180 gear (which is stiffer yet as well as taller) via STC or field approval. Probably not too hard to find some lady legs at reasonable price, for sale by someone who's installed 180 gear. I have 180 gear on my ragwing, and would rather have lady legs.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Some of us have pretty strong feelings about the gear. My first 170 was an A model and 25 years later when I went looking for my second one I really wanted the late model gear or 180 gear and the big flaps. I think I could live without the big flaps but not without my 180 gear. I do tend to fly heavy and that makes the stiffer gear much more desireable. I think a lot of the early gear legs are spung out, that is they've lost their camber and at rest are bowed the wrong way.

Don't pass up a good airplane just because of one or two items. Five things to look for (at least) Airframe, Engine, paint, avionics, interior. You'll probably have a tough time finding an airplane with four or five of these things right. You have to decide which ones you can live with and fix later. A good airframe is the most important on my list. I looked at some 40 170's and passed up an A model that had an excellent, no, outstanding airframe. By the time I got back to it it was sold.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
140pilot

Post by 140pilot »

Thanks for the information on the speeds between the models, and the gear info. I do believe the older model gear is a bit stiffer and would do a fine job. I appreciate the suggestion pertaining to the 5 things to look for when buying a 170. I believe the airframe and engine happen to be the most important 2 factors for looking at a used a/c.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I believe airplanes is like real estate, only instead of location it's airframe airframe airframe. Engine paint avionics & interior are all important, of course, but these can be had with nothing but a simple application of money. A pristine airframe is like virginity, once it's violated that's it. An airframe can be restored but you're talking a lot more money & time, as well as fewer people who can properly do the job. You can find good shops for the other four things all over the country, but good airframe restorers are few & far between. The few that are out there are doing 180/185's not 170's, cuz that's where the money is. I know a guy who restores Cubs, he quit doing J3's & PA11's cuz they cost as much to do as a Supercub but only sell for half as much.
All that said, my current airplane is not pristine, my next one probably won't be either. Perfect costs a lot of money, and to me, good enough is good enough. As long as it's solid & airworthy, a few wrinkles don't bother me too much. Ugly paint won't fail to get you home but a borderline engine sure can.

Eric
dacker

Post by dacker »

140 pilot... you probably already know this but don't skimp on the inspection. Get a full blown annual by a picky mechanic. Make sure he pulls the wing panels off at the fuel tanks and inspect the spar for corrosion. Ditto for the the rest of the fuselage. These airplanes are great, but if you get into sheetmetal reconstruction and have to use a shop you will quickly exceed the airplanes resale value in repairs. Good luck!
David
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

140pilot wrote: I do believe the older model gear is a bit stiffer and would do a fine job.......
No, you've got it backwards. The older original gear used until mid '52 or so is much springier making wheel landings a challenge until you get used to it. My bigggest gripe about the early gear is when you're loaded heavy the airplane squats down quite a bit reducing prop clearance and the gear legs look as if they are bending the wrong way.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dave Clark wrote:My bigggest gripe about the early gear is when you're loaded heavy the airplane squats down quite a bit reducing prop clearance and the gear legs look as if they are bending the wrong way.
WHAT 8O

I've seen them really loaded and didn't notice any additional saging other than their normal under arched stance. But I'm not looking at the same aircraft Dave's looking at so who knows.

I think the message here is that unless you plan on flying your aircraft into and out of some very rough terrian while loaded to the max or more, or you need/want more prop clearance what ever gear is one the aircraft will be just fine.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com