172 Conversion

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

Check out this link for STC holders.
http://www.aeroprice.com/aerolibrary/cessnase_mods.htm
51 Cessna 170A N1263D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I believe Tom Anderson of XP Mods sells NEW steel 180/185 gear legs as wellas the fancy new titanium legs. But I can't recall for sure.

Eric
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

There was a fellow out here in the Sacramento area that converted a C-172 with the "omni vision" rear window and the swept tail. That was the gawd awfulest, worst looking tail wheel airplane I've ever seen. This guy took a really nice looking nose wheel airplane and bastardized it beyond immagination. It was at Clarksburg air strip, and one of the guys there told me that it had really lousy rudder effectiveness when the tail was down. Kind of stands to reason considering the aggravated angle of the rudder.
An early flat back, square tailed C-172 or C175 makes a really neat looking conventional geared airplane.
BL
djbaker

172 Conversion

Post by djbaker »

OLE POKEY, You are right about the conversions. The Bolen is now the Bush conversion owned by Williams of Udall KA and the taildragger conversion is owned by Del-Air. Unfortunately Del-Air is not manufacturing the kit now. I did have the oppurtunity to fly a swept tail Bush conversion and I will say that the handling was very good with excellent rudder control. It does look a little odd to some but no worse than a M****. This project is going to be undertaken carefully. The IA that I have to do the conversion has rebuilt from scrap several L-19s and I would be proud to own any one of them. He is talking to the people in Kansas and if we decide to buy we will go and inspect it BEFORE payment.