Oil Filter Cutters

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Oil Filter Cutters

Post by 170C »

I have not purchased one of these devices yet. Tried using a large pipe cutter, but wasn't happy with it. Suggestions appreciated on type, brand, cost, source and personal experience with vrs types.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, the one I use is almost half the price of the Airwolf. Look at your Spruce catalog at the "Aviation Oil Filter Cutter" PN 12-21395 for $49. I"ve used it now for about 5 years and not only does it work better than any other I've ever used, the price is right and the replacement cutter wheel is cheap too (althoug I've never worn out the first cutter, I bought a spare just to have it on hand.) What I like about hte unit is the long handle which gives easy leverage. I clamp the nut on the bottom of the filter can in my vise, and simply grab the cutter handle and swing it around twice and the filter opens right up. The pic shows it upside down than the most convenient useage. By doing it like I described the filter also does not spill oil anywhere.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/ ... tools.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

If you own a set (LH & RH) of aviation snips I'd just use them & save the $50 to buy gas with. The snips take a bit longer to use than a oil filter-specific cutter, but I can live with that to save $50. I use a hammer & screwdriver or a unibit to make a hole big enough to get the snips started.
If you don't already own some,Wiss brand snips (the best ones out there, and I'm a sheet metal worker by trade) will set you back about $15 each for a set of RH & LH (aka green & red), and you can use them for a lot more than just opening oil filters.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

While I too have opened filters without the right tool (lots) one needs to be aware that if you do some of those little things you look at afterwords could be paint and metal chips from the process of opening. A good opener is a good investment.

Note that on the new -1 Champion filters the gasket is thicker and needs to be removed for some tools to work.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
170C

Oil Filter Cutters

Post by 170C »

Thanks guys!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave Clark wrote:While I too have opened filters without the right tool (lots) one needs to be aware that if you do some of those little things you look at afterwords could be paint and metal chips from the process of opening. A good opener is a good investment.

Note that on the new -1 Champion filters the gasket is thicker and needs to be removed for some tools to work.
Yes, and those sharp edges and improper tools can cause serious injury to a shade-tree tin-man! :wink: (Eric! You should consider a new username! The hero of Wizard of Oz: TINMAN!) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

After 28 years as a tinner, I am immune to small cuts, and can regenerate new digits (like a lizard's tail) after bad ones.
(The old sight gag about the grizzled old tinner: he holds up a hand with only one lone finger and hollers to the customer "want another four of them, buddy?". I guess you'd have to see it to appreciate it...)

Eric