Securing cargo

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jr.CubBuilder

Securing cargo

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'm fishing for ideas here on cargo tiedown. What do you folks do for securing gear?

I've removed my rear seat and don't anticipate putting it back in any time soon, so that leaves me the seat mounting points in my 1952. I've been thinking that I'll make or aquire a cargo net that either stretches, or has some adjustment so I can at least tie down a big mound of stuff in the vicinity of the rear seat area. Then just toss things like pillows or sleeping bags behind that, maybe even strapping them to the cargo net. Any suggestions?
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I made up cargo rings which I attach at the seat-attach points. The side & front attach points get a machine screw (forget the size & pitch) & washer thru a link of sash chain which is wrapped around a welded ring. The aft seat attach is a 1/4-28 bolt (I think) thru a heavier cable clamp wrapped around a heavier ring. I also installed a pair of little eyebolts at the bulkhead just at the front of the baggage bay.All available at the hardware store. And no I don't have any basis for approval.
Later I added a quick-detach cargo ring on each side of the airplane for the seat-belt attach for my jumpseat(s). It fits on a Brownline rail as used for the Atlee-dodge foldup seats. Check this website for cargo rings & rails http://www.cargosystems.com My rings are p/n 32401 & my mounts ("anchor plates") is p/n 40000-11.
You can also use the rear-seatback adjust bracket for tying stuff off.
I also had the idea of getting a stretchy cargo net & covering a pile of gear with it, hooking it wherever & however I could. Some little snappy things like you'd use for hooking your keyring on your beltloop would do the trick. But I never got around to finding a net I liked. If you find a good stretchy net, let us know where & how much.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

There have been some real Cessna cargo nets on ebay from time to time. I think you want to have a fairly rigid net in case of turbulence, forced landig etc. wouldn't you?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Oh :D This CargoSystems website is perfect, thanks. I guess I'll do something like what you've been using 01V. I was thinking I'd use some stretchy cargo netting like I had for my motorcycle, but I think Dave has a point. I have yet to experience really bad turbulence and it probably wouldn't be good to have camping gear pounding up and down back there like a deadblow hammer.

Has anyone seen extra seat tracks installed back there so you could use those cool looking seatrail cargo rings?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

My '52 model has, in addition to the four bottom and side attach points for the rear seat, six additional 1/4 x 28 nut plates in the floor. Two are even with the 10-32 nut plate for the front seat mount, two are even with the 1/4 x 28 rear seat mount , and two are just in front of the rear bulkhead in the baggage area.
This pattern of nut plates is also in my '55 model, so I feel sure they're factory installed. For what purpose I have no idea.
I have attached tie down rings similar to what Eric described.
BL