cowl latch pins

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

simatos

cowl latch pins

Post by simatos »

For the old style cowl Figure 47 Serial nos20267 thru 25372 lower right hand of page shows exploded latch mechanism. I need new pins part numbers 0452112: latch lever pin and
number 0452120: latch hook pin described on pages80-81.
My latches have been dissambled. Do you know if these are still available?? I don't see then in Spruce Thanks This will be my bone headed question for the weekend. G
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

They are in my 2003 Spruce catalog under the Cessna parts section. I'm pretty sure Univair makes them so if Spruce dropped them try Univair. Spruce uses their own part numbers though. Their exploded view allows you to figure it out.

I take it you have new parts already for the 0452110 and -111 (lever and clip) and the 113 (housing) The most critical parts. Be sure these are like new and you won't have to worry about the cowl coming loose for some time to come.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
simatos

Cowl latch pins

Post by simatos »

Just because I have the spruce catolog beside my bed doesn't mean I know how to read it. I now see the cowl patch figure and description of pins. One of my latches was badly worn and i have new parts but will need these pins to reassemble. Thanks for info. There is another 170 here on the field that has fastener placed in the body of the levers as a further saftey. In the 170 club book there is also a description of camlocks being used to hold the levers down. Are there problems with these coming loose? I had the oil door open up on a cessna 150 which was a little annoying. Since I am going to work on the cowl and latches i wonder if I should also add something to keep the latches in place. Anyway thanks for the info G
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

The problem (which I discovered AFTER I painted the plane... oh joy) is that the latch lever (0452110) gets worn and won't stay closed. If you lift up the latch lever and look at the back side of it you see that it has a lip on each side of about 1/16". This lip is what the clip (0452111) engages. After 50 years, the clip wears away at the lip on the lever until there is no more lip left at that location. If you rebuild them with new levers I would think you'd be fine. If you keep the original levers, you'l likely need something (camloc, or whatever) to keep it closed. There are several solutions that folks have used over the years for this problem.

As for the pins it looks like the Spruce catalog p/n's are 05-07225 & 05-07245.
Doug
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Dave Clark wrote:I take it you have new parts already for the 0452110 and -111 (lever and clip) and the 113 (housing) The most critical parts. Be sure these are like new and you won't have to worry about the cowl coming loose for some time to come.
Doug explains my quote above pretty well. I guess I was too brief. Do all four and you'll not need any band aid fixes. You'll love it. 8)
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

Sorry to diverge but had to ask... Dave - is that airstrip in your Avatar image Red Creek along the Verde River? Sure looks like it...
Matt
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)