PowerFlow Exhaust on a 170

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

For what it's worth the 172 I previously rented had a PowerFlow on it, and that plane had a lot of power, not a faster spinning motor, but rather a lot of torque off the line that just isn't there with the C145. It had a Lyc 320 in it, and in my humble opinion it put out more than 20 extra cubic inches of torque.

However, it was loud! Painfully loud in my opinion, it just beat on my ears till I bought an ANR headset and even then I didn't want to be in that plane for more than a couple hours. That noise just wears on you after a while. The other thing I noticed is that I always had to check the muffler (if you can call it a muffler) to make sure it wasn't falling off.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Someone's always trying to fish with CIL lures.
170AV8R

PowerFlow Exhaust

Post by 170AV8R »

I have a 170B with 0-360, Constant Speed Prop, and Power Flow Exhaust. I find the performance to be outstanding. I'm getting 1100-1200 fpm climb consistantly. And to answer the "laws of physics" comment, yes I do burn more fuel. Performance comes at a price. It's called fuel. I'll take it.
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Recently, a Super Cub modifier got his exhaust system approved on the Cub. He had it test run in a test cell on a dynomometer by an independant testing outfit, first with a stock cub exhaust, then with his exhaust. The result was an increase of 5 to 7 % increase in horsepower, over the stock system.

And, yes, of course if you make more horsepower you'll burn more gas (duh!). But on that hot and high day, when you need a little more ooomph to clear the trees, or get off the ground a tad sooner, one of these mods might be just what you need. And at least this system doesn't have that major protrusion coming out the bottom of the cowl.

I'm not defending the claims of any manufacturer who might suggest that you can make more hp, while burning less fuel, cause that's physics 101. On the other hand, it is possible to make more power with a good exhaust system. Happens all the time in lots of applications.

Mike Vivion
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

mvivion wrote:Recently, a Super Cub modifier got his exhaust system approved on the Cub. He had it test run in a test cell on a dynomometer by an independant testing outfit, first with a stock cub exhaust, then with his exhaust. The result was an increase of 5 to 7 % increase in horsepower, over the stock system.
This sounds like a more reasonable number than the 20+% advertised by Powerflow.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have developed an exhaust mod for the C-145/O-300 engine that will give you 20% more power, and doesn't hang outa the cowl. It not only doesn't increase fuel consumption, you actually land after each flight with more fuel than you took off with. I have to siphon some out after about every second flight-- after every flight for X-countries.
Please send me $100 in small unmarked bills if you'd like the plans & specifications.

Eric
PS- I ain't jokin'
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Ah,

Now you've been reading Richard Bach!

Mike Vivion