Spruce Goose Flyin?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dr. Dave

Spruce Goose Flyin?

Post by Dr. Dave »

HI all.. I got my paper copy of the newsletter a few days back a read about a flyin to Oregon to see the "Spruce Goose".. I believe the day was to be March 13th Sunday? However "somebody" tidied up my office and filed the newsletter in the trash and now I can't find it again.. Has anyone else heard about this proposed get together for the 170 group?

Thanks,

Dave
Dr. Dave
1956 Cessna 170B
G-MSC
Victoria B.C. CYYJ
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave, check the "members only" part of the site to see the newsletter text.
Quite a while back, you commented that you thought your airplane needed re-rigging. Did you ever get that accomplished? And the result was....?

Eric
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

It is the 13th, but what is the Spruce Goose? I know "the Spruce Goose" is in OR, so what's at Port Townsend?
flyguy

GOOSED

Post by flyguy »

http://www.aafo.com/goose/

QUITE A STORY HERE
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
Dr. Dave

Spruce Goose

Post by Dr. Dave »

Sorry about that, I thought everybody knew about the Spruce Goose!! The "spruce goose" is/was the world's largest flying boat and it was built by the eccentric millionaire Howard Hughes in the late 40s. It's proper designation is H-4 (HK-1) Hercules... It was entirely built out of wood (except for the eight massive engines!) and I believe that's where the nickname "spruce goose" came from. For many years it was on display in California but eventually care and maintenance of it was awarded to the evergreen international aviation club in McMinnville, Oregon. It is now permanently on display and is a tremendous aviation attraction.

As I said, I read about this fly in in the last copy of the "flypaper"

And I was surprised to not find some mention of it here on the web site.

So I am concerned that my memory of the article may be misleading? I may have the dates wrong et cetera. Hopefully somebody else out there can confirm the fly in or correct my information.?

On the other topic of my rigging problems Eric, they still exist. My air maintenance guy did try quite a bit to solve the problem but has not been successful.

It's just one of those things I'm going to have to work on as I get more time.
Dr. Dave
1956 Cessna 170B
G-MSC
Victoria B.C. CYYJ