Franklin update

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Franklin update

Post by doug8082a »

For those interested in a little reading on the demise of the Franklin engine, AVWeb has an article out this morning.

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/189247-1.html
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Good article-- thanks for posting the link,Doug. I can't see any way the Franklin 350 will be brought back into production by P&W or anybody else, just for the small market of upgrading 170/172/175's and Stinsons, and installation in 4 place homebuilts, such as the Bearhawk & the Glastar 2+2. Although it's a logical choice for all of these applications, unless a manufacturer of certificated airplanes goes with it, the market just isn't big enough to justify production. "Show me the money" is the name of the game.
In fact, except for maybe Beechcraft, I think about all the manufacturers are in bed with Lycoming these days, eh? Cessna, Mooney,Maule,Piper, all run Lyc's. The newer smaller certificated airplanes ("light sport aircraft") seem to be going with Rotax or maybe Jabiru.
I would be more attracted to the Franklin if it was derated with lower compression pistons & approved for car gas. Seems like you could still get maybe 200 horsepower out of it. Some of the features like the peek-a-boo inspection cover in the top of the crankcase & the sleeved cylinders seem like a pretty good idea.
It's kinda like airports-- even if I don't ever use it, I hate to see one go away.

Eric