Best Reasons No. 2344(B) to own a 170.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Best Reasons No. 2344(B) to own a 170.

Post by GAHorn »

Because they have a Master Switch with a simple ON/OFF battery relay for electrical distribution.

This morning, I received an "Emergency Airworthiness Concern" issued by Cessna regarding 100 series aircraft. It actually only appied to newly produced aircraft. Here's the basic text, for the reading enjoyment of Cessna 120/140/170 owners:

"On January 18, 2005, Cessna reported an incident to the Wichita ACO (in accordance with 14 CFR Part 21.3). Cessna discovered (at their facility in Independence, KS) that the Lamar Master Control Units (electrical power junction box) part numbers S3100-297 (MC01-3A I.C. 9) and S3100-344 (MC01-3A I.C. 10) have been supplied to Cessna with 15 and 25 amp circuit breakers installed instead of the required 40 amp circuit breakers. An unsafe condition is caused by the premature tripping of these main feeder circuit breakers. This condition can result in partial or complete loss of all electrical power on the airplane. Loss of all electrical power will cause loss of all navigation and communication, as well as loss of all lighting in the cockpit. All units in Independence, KS are being inspected, and Cessna is issuing a mandatory service bulletin (SB05-24-01). The Cessna service bulletin requires replacement of the 15 and 20 amp circuit
breaker with 40 amp circuit breakers. The FAA is proposing an airworthiness Directive (AD) requiring compliance with the Cessna mandatory service bulletin within 30 days after the effective date of the AD.
The FAA requests any comments regarding this ACS and proposed AD.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Haydon

Post by Haydon »

Whats the problem......15+25=40 :lol:
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

If it were not used to make the engine start, some days I wouldn't need a electrical system.
I was at the Sussex NJ air show this summer, I was graciously allowed to park with the show planes, I was parked next to a 2004 Cessna T with the all glass cockpit. I went to the Cessna rep to see if he could make due on some warranty issues :wink: . He said " I think its time for a upgrade to something new and modern" I stood there looking at this 200K airplane and the power inverter needed to supply power to the avionics "suite" and said I sure would, where do I sign? He became all smiles and started to show me brochures, I stopped him and said " this is great but wheres the order forms for the 170B? Obvious our ideas of upgrade were different. later that day I bought him a lemon slushy made amends and watched the show in the shade of our 2005/1948 fine Cessna products.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.