Keep it orginal?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I propose that we start a new category of judging at this years convention. The kids under 16 yrs of age, vote for they're favorite plane.
I'll bring 3 voters! If anyone has a paint scheme to post or Pm or email, that I can show Traci, please send it. I'm scrambling through AOPA books and anything else I can find for ideals.

Dave
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

That would be fun - I can bring one under 16.

The covers (front/back) of the 170 News has some beautiful planes and paint schemes. I have many years worth if you need to borrow them.

One thing maybe to remember, the young people, younger than 16, who have say $35,000+ in their pockets might be looking more towards the jets. At time to sale, they might vote for the paint job, but probably wouldn't pony up to buy it. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Good point on 170 New Covers: Joe!
I have a 1/2 dozen yrs of them beside the computer where Traci can start looking tonight. I've also seen several that have caught my eye. I got Curtis to send me a pic of his and I like that. A kinda modern classic'ish! I just might have the Swoosh / Ribbon problem solved. Remember I was thinking of having a sign company do the pinstriping? :idea: I'll paint the plane the way I won't it and overlay her part in tape, so I can remove it later.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Maybe add something like coon tails, etc for Eric to point out, then you could remove that too! :lol:

It might have been you Dave that advised to develop a bad habit that you can do without just before you get married. Then, after the wedding and she starts improving you, you can let her rid you of that one. :idea:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

What happened to the Rebel Flag scheme?
51 Cessna 170A N1263D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Coon tail, rebel flag decal, a bunch of them phony bullet holes, and a "caution when passing-- driver chews tobacco" bumper sticker. NOW you're talking! Yaa-haw!
And hey-- Dave knows I'm kidding about the vacuum pump & stuff. Right?

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Are you kidding Eric? We are a serious bunch here in the South! :lol:

Back a hundred years or so ago when I was 15 and got my first car I promised myself that I wouldn't drive by that old man walking to town from 15 miles out like my folks did, and everybody else did. So, my first trip to town in my 56 Ford that I was SOOOOOOO proud off, and had worked nights as a clean up guy at a turkey processing plant to save the money up for, I stopped by that old guy and asked him if he wanted a ride into town. It was very cold that morning and the heater was on full blast and all the windows were up and I knew he needed to be inside. Well, just a couple of miles on down the dirt road it was time for him to spit about a gallon and a half of chewing tobacco out. Guess I had cleaned his window too much for him to realize the window was up when he turned his head and spit. It ran down inside the door and didn't take very long to become the worst odor I had ever smelled and then all the windows were down. I took him on into town that morning but like everybody else, I never stopped and offered him a ride again.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Ozark Joe, you really ought to write a book about growing up Hillybilly! :D

Well I'm going to stop procrastinating and after entering this post call Velvet and order a SCRAM and THE CESSNA 170 BOOK. Eric reminded me, by encouraging me to look in the 170 book for plane pictures. Besides needing them, it'll help the club finances (per President Shockey Nov Fly Paper).
Found out that the modern paint scheme that I'm partial too, is a 1950 Stock A Model. Sorry George, I didn’t realize there were different paint schemes on different models, or I would have favored the B paint scheme. How many different paint schemes are there and will the A scheme slowed down the B plane? Was the 55 (mine) the same as 52? I sketched out a paint scheme last night. Boy am I original, 1950 paint scheme, minus the lower cowling paint and the wrap over to the vertical stabilizer. But if I were to ever sell it, the new owner could simply finish the original A scheme. Wish I didn’t have to put those ugly tail numbers on. They will only be 2” tall. My uncle in Texarkana is a car striper, so Traci can have him design the ribbon swoosh or whatever and stick it on for the time being.
Trouble maker, I’ll get a magnetic Rebel Flag sign made up for those special, by invitation only, southern fly-ins. Should I have a whole batch of them made up to sale with the Calendars? Maybe we should take a head count to see how many are interested, so as to make sure we order enough the first go around?
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

On my 55 upper cowling there are two service doors. I only need one, since my battery & oil cap/stick are on the same side. The non used side is two screwed in place. Before painting, I was thinking of finding a 56-60, 172 upper cowl, with one door. However, now I'm wondering about having the body/paint shop just rivet that door shut and hide it to look like it's not there. Is this feasible?
On the door I use, a bit of a gap forms, from the door sliding back 1/8" or so, when flying. Guess this is positive pressure.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

AR Dave,
Lucky thing that you reskinned your airplane with galvinized
sheet iron. Your magnetic rebel flags wouldn't have stick to aluminum.
By the way, was it corrugated?
BL
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I was planning on having a magnetic backing on the inside of the fuselage, so that the outside sign would have a polarized field to stick too.
:oops: OK, don't be so technical!