Parking Brake Removal

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Parking Brake Removal

Post by 170C »

Based upon numerous posts here and at least one verbal recommendation from a well respected, long time member, I undertook the chore Sat. As most of my projects do, it took 2-2.5 times as long as I thought it should. Sure would help to be younger (read as more flexible) grin! Actually went pretty well considering.

Now my question. I want to throw this out to the "advisory committee". After having completed the parking brake hardware removal, thus rendering it inoperable, should I (1) make an airframe logbook entry and sign it myself. (2) make the entry & have my AI sign it or, (3) forget the whole thing and not make any logbook entries?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

By disabling the parking break you have done what the FAA calls a modification.

Read the FAR 43.9 and ask your self, what the refference you can use to do that, and what you will say in the log entry?

Do you think your A&P would sign it?

IMHO you are better off saying nothing and acting dumb when and if you are ramp checked and the ramp cop catches it.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
170C

Parking Brake

Post by 170C »

Thanks Tom, I apprciate your input.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
thammer

parking brake

Post by thammer »

So it sounds like what we need is a service bulletin from Cessna that says to disable the parking brake in such and such a way. Then you just document compliance with SB-XX. Or an STC? That doesn't sound like the right administrative tool though.

tye
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Parking brake? What parking brake? Never heard of it.......just make sure you *thoroughly* remove the parking brake placard. Then there are two dummy knobs instead of just one. (three if you count the one mounted on the pilot's shoulders......)

Eric